pump sounds fine, not moving water

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
andrew

Postby andrew » Tue 23 May, 2006 14:17

I have a Max-E-Glas II, one horsepower, model PRE6E-187L. the pool is kidney shaped, 34 feet long with a 9 foot deep-end. The pump turns on and immediately you see alot of water rush in to trap like normal, then water just ripples. Pressure on filter tank (after pump) shows 34, but when I look through the see-thru bulb on the return pipe, the water is barely moving. I'm trying to figure this one out before I call a technician. I dont know if it's the impeller, worn seal, clogged filters in filter tank, etc.... Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.

nitehawk

Postby nitehawk » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 15:27

Its the impeller, have the some problem, I need to know how to lock the shaft, so the impeller can be remve.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pump sounds fine, not moving water

Postby mas985 » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:16

First, check to make sure the filter gauge drops to 0 when the pump is shut off just to make sure the gauge is reading correctly.

If the pressure really is 34 PSI, you might have an obstruction on the return side probably the filter. Backwash the filter and if the pressure does not drop, then there could be a problem with the filter. What type of filter is it?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
gd4555

Postby gd4555 » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:20

the pump sounds fine,but my water pressure gauge shows about 3 when it normally runs around 12. i backwashed to clean the sand but still have very low pressure and water volume. any suggestions????
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:44

gd4555,

You should really start your own thread since your problem is not the same as Andrew's.

It sounds like you have a suction side blockage or air leak.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Mon 19 Oct, 2009 08:01

The original post is over 3 YEARS old... I think andrew has stopped waiting for a reply...

Nitehawk seems to have revived this thread with a problem. If you take the cover off the end of the motor, you will see the shaft (you may have to look for it). The shaft has a flat spot where a wrench will fit to hold the shaft while you take the impeller off.

If you have the same symptoms and pump as Andrew, its probably not the impeller. If you still get 34 psi on the gauge, you're moving water and the impeller is clear. The problem is down stream from the pump. Do the pressure gauge test (as suggested earlier) to confirm.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”