chemical help, please

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??

chemical help, please

Postby Guest » Tue 23 May, 2006 18:02

ok i used a 5 way test kit...it said my total alk was 150 ph was 7.2 and chlorine was wayyyy high lol.
I took a sample to the local pool place and got these readings....

TDS: 325
CYA: 150
TOT CHLORINE: 9.8
FREE CHLORINE: 8.9
TOTAL ALK: 135
Adj TOTAL ALK: 90
HARDESS: 114
WATER TEMP: 70

OK HERES MY PROBLEM...I WENT BECAUSE I THOUGHT MY ALK WAS WAY HIGH AND CHLORINE...WAS GOING TO TRY AND GET CHEMICALS FOR THAT.

THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED TO ADD 5 LBS OF SHOCK AND 14 LBS OF ALK UP.

i AM NOT UNDERSTANDING WHY I NEED TO shock anymore with all the chlorine in it now. Do you think i should do this?

(sorry about the caps, i just realized)

i know my chlorine got so high because i use a floating stabilized chlorinator you have to punch holes in, i messed up and punched out 20,000 gallons when i only need 10,000, mistake on my part.

I would just like to have you guys opinion.

thanks so much.

the water seems to be a lil clouby, no algea present, i assume that was from all the chlorine.

Postby Guest » Tue 23 May, 2006 18:07

me again....

one more thing..i noticed a water bug..alive....in the pool, so maybe i could be getting a false test with the 5 way test kit? and the pool place is correct about adding all that stuff?
me

Re: chemical help, please

Postby me » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 15:28

Anonymous wrote:ok i used a 5 way test kit...it said my total alk was 150 ph was 7.2 and chlorine was wayyyy high lol.
I took a sample to the local pool place and got these readings....

TDS: 325
CYA: 150
TOT CHLORINE: 9.8
FREE CHLORINE: 8.9
TOTAL ALK: 135
Adj TOTAL ALK: 90
HARDESS: 114
WATER TEMP: 70

OK HERES MY PROBLEM...I WENT BECAUSE I THOUGHT MY ALK WAS WAY HIGH AND CHLORINE...WAS GOING TO TRY AND GET CHEMICALS FOR THAT.

THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED TO ADD 5 LBS OF SHOCK AND 14 LBS OF ALK UP.

i AM NOT UNDERSTANDING WHY I NEED TO shock anymore with all the chlorine in it now. Do you think i should do this?

(sorry about the caps, i just realized)

i know my chlorine got so high because i use a floating stabilized chlorinator you have to punch holes in, i messed up and punched out 20,000 gallons when i only need 10,000, mistake on my part.

I would just like to have you guys opinion.

thanks so much.

the water seems to be a lil clouby, no algea present, i assume that was from all the chlorine.

That's because you have 0.9 ppm combined chlorine and the rule of thumb is to use 10 times that amount to eliminate it. With a CYA of 150, this is rather high, you need to go even higher.

I would forget adding any chemicals for now (including chloring and alk up) and consider draining and refilling the pool 75%. That should bring your CYA to about 40, which is good, and *then* balance out the water. Continuing to use stabilized chlorine will only make the problem worse.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”