How much water should be in the waste basket on a pool pump

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
chainsawparts

How much water should be in the waste basket on a pool pump

Postby chainsawparts » Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:20

I have a 2 HP Sta Rite pool pump with a waste basket. Should the waste basket be full of water when the pump is running. I can see the water flowing but it does not fill up. Thanks

Poolay

Postby Poolay » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 05:42

It should be 99.99999999% full when running and should remain full when switched off also.
Me...

Re: How much water should be in the waste basket on a pool pump

Postby Me... » Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:19

Yes, the basket should appear full with maybe a few air bubbles kicking around in there. It could be low water level and air is being sucked into the pump, or a leak in the suction line, or a blockage in the suction line. It can also be a blockage in the line after the pump too. A valve partially closed or an extremely dirt filter. A few things to check.

Couple more things I guess. If its a 2-speed pump you might need to kick it into high to get a good prime. Neither would this be the first pump I saw that wired for 230 volts, but fed only 115 volts. The pump might not develop the power to prime properly in that case.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: How much water should be in the waste basket on a pool pump

Postby Larry » Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:17

Me hit the nail on the head

If it does not fill up then either the o-ring is not sealing, you have a leak in your plumbing or the suction intake is too narrow and is constricting the water flow.

Running a half-primed pump does not provide the necessary circulation and can damage the pump (impeller, diffuser, etc)

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”