Leaking Pools ---- Good Advice!!---better Read This!!!!

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
poolside

Postby poolside » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 19:01

Before you send in the diver to look for leaks, whether by pressure testing or visual inspection of light fixture and skimmer ----- check your backflush valve!!!! Whether the pump is running or not, and whether your pump is located higher than the pool or not ---- THE BACKFLUSH VALVE WILL LOSE WATER OUT OF YOUR POOL!!!!
I just spent a BUNDLE of money to have the pool inspected, dye tested, and pressure tested only to find that the water was ACTUALLY siphoning its way up the pipes and down through the backflush valve even when the pump WAS OFF. I don't care how stupid this sounds, check the valve first! We could barely hear the water dribbling through the pipes in the basement, but was accounting for about 200 gallons in a 24 hr period. Total cost of replacing the valve itself (as it was broken inside), including O-rings was $250. Had I had the guts to try it myself it would have cost about $170. Beats starting out with the most expensive area to inspect. This is not to say you might not have other leaks, but it's a GREAT place to start!--- you might be quite surprised --- and save yourself the head-banging and a bunch of money early.

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Thu 05 Mar, 2009 09:47

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
mollygirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground, 16 X 40, hayward pump, sand filter, vermiculite shell w liner

Postby mollygirl » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:04

did you have problems with water rising when the pump is on, and lowering when the pump is off? No one has ever heard of this. I've narrowed it down to the main drain by plugging up all the other outlets. dont get it!
poolside wrote:Before you send in the diver to look for leaks, whether by pressure testing or visual inspection of light fixture and skimmer ----- check your backflush valve!!!! Whether the pump is running or not, and whether your pump is located higher than the pool or not ---- THE BACKFLUSH VALVE WILL LOSE WATER OUT OF YOUR POOL!!!!
I just spent a BUNDLE of money to have the pool inspected, dye tested, and pressure tested only to find that the water was ACTUALLY siphoning its way up the pipes and down through the backflush valve even when the pump WAS OFF. I don't care how stupid this sounds, check the valve first! We could barely hear the water dribbling through the pipes in the basement, but was accounting for about 200 gallons in a 24 hr period. Total cost of replacing the valve itself (as it was broken inside), including O-rings was $250. Had I had the guts to try it myself it would have cost about $170. Beats starting out with the most expensive area to inspect. This is not to say you might not have other leaks, but it's a GREAT place to start!--- you might be quite surprised --- and save yourself the head-banging and a bunch of money early.
steven1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a mini pool in my house

Postby steven1 » Sat 16 May, 2009 20:45

Don't beat your self. You were not experienced. At least you learnt something.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”