Good vacumm but lost presure to jets and water features

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
kevin w
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: viking triton fiberglass. 1hp jandy pump with salt water system, De filter. 3 deck jets. 48" sheer

Postby kevin w » Fri 06 Mar, 2009 22:25

Pool is around 6 months old and when it was new the 1 hp jandy pump could run pool return and all water features with very strong presure. Last month I was cleaning the pool and turned on water features but had very little water flow out of the sheer and could not run the 3 deck jets with the sheer. First I cleaned the DE filter. Psi dropped from 13 to 10 but still had very little pressure to jets and almost none to the water features. IF i turn the pool return off I can run water features, Jets are weak even if the water features are off. Despite the low pressure my vacumm and skimmer have lots of suction. Called the pool builder and he sent out a jandy tech to check the pump. He said the pump was fine and now the pool builder does not understand the problem. Going on over a month now and frustraion is setting in. Trying to be nice about situation but loosing patience and summer in around the corner. Please help if you can and I can relay info to my pool builder. Thanks

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 02:23

If it has reliably been determined that the pump is not the problem, then you need to suspect the intake side.

How many skimmers and main drains are there? If you open them all does the pressure increase? What did the pump pressure use to be when the pool was new?

Has the pool had a a large load of leaves and twigs lately? Could some debris have gotten through the pump basket and partially blocked the impeller/ diffuser in the pump?
kevin white

Postby kevin white » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 18:40

Larry, thanks for the reply. I have one skimmer and on dedicated vacumm line. The Jandy tech said he pulled the pump apart and it was not the problem. So should I recomend back flusing the intake on skimmer and the vacumm to see if I have a partially clogged line? Pool guy thinks this would cause the Psi on the filter to raise. It was around 11 psi new. Dropped to 10 after I cleaned the DE filter. If I run turn the pool return off with the water feature on, the psi jumps to 16. If I run the water features with the pool return on it drops to 4 psi. It use to stay around 11 before with everything on. Thanks for the help.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 03:09

If I run the water features with the pool return on it drops to 4 psi. It use to stay around 11 before with everything on.

I would try to confirm that the skimmer line is not blocked. It definitely sounds like a partial blockage on the intake/ suction side.
mgud

Postby mgud » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 14:55

I have similar problems!! Pump diffuser keeps sucking the o-ring into the pump. Too much play between for the diffuser moves back and forth allowing o-ring to become unseated. Crappy design!! I'll never get anything Jandy again.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”