Bad Suction When Vacuumming

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Kid Pool

Postby Kid Pool » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 15:28

i just do not have good suction when i vacuum... and actually, it's not when i just vacuum, the suction does not feel strong when I put my hand up against the suction hole - certainly not strong enough to vacuum debris at the bottom of my pool.

Pressure is fine on the meter... what could be causing this, other than stuff caught in the line (which I have checked and cleared?

Also, do I need to take the pump off "filter" and move it to "waste"?

Thanks!

Do

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 19:50

Possibly you have a separate main drain and skimmer line? In that case shut the main drain valve off 1/2 way or so until the vacuum starts working for you.

Keep the filter in "FILTER" mode while vacuuming. Then, if it is there, "RINSE" for 30 seconds to a minute and then "BACKWASH" for a couple of minutes or until the sight glass (if you have one) runs clear. Back to "FILTER" afterwards and .......................

Remember to turn your pump off each time you turn the dial valve to a new position.
Kid Pool

Postby Kid Pool » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 22:22

Very helpful! I have two skimmers, you are correct.... so just to make sure i got it, I need to shut one of the suction drains off, so that more suction is directed to the other one, correct?
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 00:36

So 2 skimmers and 1 main drain? Or no main drain? In any event you would need to somewhat isolate the suction to where you insert the vac hose. Don't create too much vacuum though or you can collapse the hose. You stand a chance of sucking up a liner too. It can become harder to vacuum. You want to find a setting that allows you to vacuum, no more.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”