Saline pool options

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
cr8it

Saline pool options

Postby cr8it » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 16:45

We are thinking about replacing our chlorine system with a saline one. Don't know much about them, but have two quotes from different suppliers - one is for the Jandy Aqua Pure 1400, the second is for an Intellichlor. Any pluses or minuses to either (or others we should look at?)

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Saline pool options

Postby Me... » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 20:04

Check for proper bonding on everything, then double check, then have someone else double check the last check. Check various components for galvanic corrosion potential IE: Dissimilar metals. If your pool isn't built from the ground up for a Salt Chlorine Generator you can run into issues.

I hate to even say anything about this topic anymore because there are evangelistic types on both sides of the fence. In theory and science and paper and many opinions they would appear to be a great thing. I have been in this business many years and am still on the fence. If I built my own pool tomorrow however I can't think of why I would use a SWG over other methods.

Check out Hayward too. They all work. Even the control systems are catching up with each other. Describe your pool and current setup in more detail and I am sure you will get more info and advise.
cr8it

Saline pool options

Postby cr8it » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 05:17

We are located in Hawaii, so the pool and spa are used year round. We Are currently re-tiling it so it will be all 1x1 squares. It is small 5 1/2 feet deep at deep end - odd shaped but probably about 20 feet by 10 feet.

Currently have a sand filter - used to use chlorine tabs.

I hate to sound ignorant, but I'm not even sure what bonding is. I would not try to install this myself but hire a pro to do it.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Saline pool options

Postby Larry » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 06:52

Read this post and this one for more discussions on SWGs and possible related problems.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Saline pool options

Postby Me... » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 11:34

The ever growing source of info .... Might help explain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_bonding

An outdoor, year round, fully tiled concrete pool would be one of my candidates for a Salt Generator. Your smaller pool, probably using Tri-Chlor Tabs could have run into stabilizer issues if the evaporation, backwashing and use didn't allow enough dilution to keep that particular level in check. If it got too high the chlorine wouldn't work properly and possibly this is a reason you are thinking of the switch?

I don't know the prevalence of liquid chlorine use there, maybe its very expensive but be sure to compare things properly. Quite often a Salt Water Generator gets compared to a liquid feed system. SWG typically get priced with no controller while the liquid system gets priced with one. Both can, but don't need, but SHOULD have a controller. If you have a smaller body of water that is going to have some heavy use at times, it can be a volatile environment and a controller would be VERY useful. It can also be added after without much problem. Both systems AND you will benefit from an acid feed system too.

That said, you have a SPA. I would highly recommend a controller. It sounds like you have a single equipment set with an overflow spa, a great way to do have it but without controllers you stand a very real chance of over chlorinating the spa with the pool-sized system.

And remember, Tabs, Salt Water Generators and Liquid Feed systems are ALL Chlorine pools. If you maintain things properly you will have nice water. If you don't, well we have all heard those stories ......

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”