Water running out of backwash after turning valve to filter

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
dmiles2000
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dmiles2000 » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 18:45

I have a Sta Rite filter model # T 240 Bp 1. I just opened the pool and backwashed. After I finished backwashing and put the valve back to filter mode I still have water running out of the backwash pipe. It isn't a heavy stream but it is problematic. I will have to replace the water if I can't get it corrected. Would this be a gasket problem in the valve or would it be something else. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sun 08 Mar, 2009 19:33

Either a gasket problem or a piece of debris in between the gasket and the diverter. Do you shut the pump off to turn the handle position? Number one cause of that problem is not shutting off the pump. You may be able to disassemble the dial valve and reposition it or maybe it needs to be replaced. There is the off chance doing another backwash will wash out the debris if that is the cause.

Poor chemistry will deteriorate them also. You will know when you touch the gasket. Your hands will turn black. That will be your punishment for running a bad pH in the pool.

Some will fix this by adding a valve on the backwash line. Sure, it won't leak anymore but now your filter will bypass water instead of filtering it.
dmiles2000
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dmiles2000 » Mon 09 Mar, 2009 18:39

I can't find my manual for my filter. I've taken the cover off of the valve and there is no spider gasket. There is only an o-ring. I've searched the internet for my particular model of multiport valve and cannot find a spider gasket. Can someone tell me if this particular model even uses a spider gasket? The model is listed in my original post. I'm desperate.

Thanks,
Dmiles2000
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Tue 10 Mar, 2009 00:56

Search a little more and look on your diverter. That model might have the spider/spoke gasket intregal to the diverter and you will need to buy that part. Or, possibly on an older filter you might need to buy an entire top assembly.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”