Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Recycling Backwash water

Postby superdoopie » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 13:15

Don't get it either. The municipalities don't want the pool water going out into the environment I guess. They are a pain to work on by adding another tank to open and clean out and put back together. They stopped requiring them years ago but they still exist.

poolguy1963

Recycling Backwash water

Postby poolguy1963 » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:08

The envir-o-smart system is available. The website is http://www.envir-o-smart.com and is still under construction. It explains the system and has the ordering info. Residential is one gallon per backwash and commercial is 5 gallons per backwash. This system was designed, developed and built by a professional poolbuilder in south GA.
poolguy1963

Recycling Backwash water

Postby poolguy1963 » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 13:08

David M wrote:Thanks Larry. Do you know of or does anyone else know of actual examples where recycling of backwash water back into the pool is being done?
David M

THERE IS ONE I KNOW OF IT IS IN SOUTH GA. I HAVE SAW IT FIRST HAND. THE PERSON THAT DESIGNED IT HAS ONE ON HIS POOL.IT HAS BEEN IN USE FOR TWO YEARS .HE IS A POOL BUILDER .IT IS CALLED ENVIR-O-SMART. HE SHOWED ME HIS CHEMICAL BILL FOR A SIX MONTH PERIOD.AND YOU WOULDNT BELIVE ME IF I TOLD YOU WHAT IT WAS.IT WAS LESS THAN YOU WOULD SPEND IN ONE MONTH.

Recycling Backwash water

Postby Guest » Fri 04 Jun, 2010 11:35

For my residential pool, I use a 55gal plastic drum. I cut the pvc line to the waste pipe and reconnected to the drum. I backwash into the drum. I have a drain about 4 inches above the bottom of the drum with a plastic garden hose connector/valve assembly. After I backwash, I put a little chlorine in there and let it settle for a day. Then I quick connect a garden hose to the tank. The trick is to let it flow for about 5-10sec to be sure it's clean and no sediment comes out. The I put a sock over the end of the hose and secure it with a rubber band and put it in the pool. Then the remaining 54 gal of clean water drains back into the pool for reuse. This is my 2nd year and it works great. I spent about $30 for all the parts. The 55 gal plastic drum was an apple juice barrel for $10. Nice thing is, I can run the pump on low all the time and backwash every other day since the water is not wasted. Now my power bill is lower too. I have an inground pool.

Recycling Backwash water

Postby Guest » Fri 04 Jun, 2010 11:39

I forgot to say, after the water drains back into the pool (this takes 45min or so). I disconnect the garden hose and then tilt the plastic barrel back and forth to stir up the sediment in the bottom. I keep tilting while the sediment drains out onto the ground. Occasionally I have to spray some water in the bottom after the sediment builds up, but not very often. Now it's ready for the next backwash.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”