Purex 2048 backwash lever stuck

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
daemon

Postby daemon » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 21:48

Hi,
I have a purex SMBW 2048 filter and it has a lever that switches between backwash and pool. The lever is on the pool side and when i try to move it towards backwash about a 1/4 of the way through it gets stuck, and with my mighty power cannot be moved any farther. Any suggestions?
The manual says that i should backwash when pressure is 10 more PSI than "original pressure" I just got this house and i dont know the "original pressure." So i was just going to backwash it, but i cant.
Thanks for you help.
Daman

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:00

Hi Daman and welcome to the Pool Care Forums

Your valve may be faulty, blocked or scaled up.

The valve should only ever be moved when the pump is off.

You may need to take the valve apart for maintenance. If you have any more details about your valve you can post them here.

In all probability your valve looks like the one in this Purex Filter manual (page 8).

Larry
daemon

Postby daemon » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 22:17

The pump was off. so i am going to have to replace the valve. shucks.
How long can i keep adding more DE powder before i have to fix the filter? I suppose the pressure has something to do with that.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:21

before i have to fix the filter

It's the rotary valve that needs servicing and not the filter. You should be able to take the valve apart. You may find some scaling that was keeping the lever fixed. If that is the problem, you can carefully scrape some of it off and a mild acid bath will dissolve the rest. Once disassembled the problem will become apparent and a repair or replacement of only one component could be all that is needed.

DE is only added after backwash or filter cleaning to replenish the lost powder. Never add DE if you haven't cleaned the filter. The more you add, the higher the pressure will get!
dram615

Postby dram615 » Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:46

I have the exact same problem on my 2048. The lever won't move more than what seems 3 inches.

In order to disassemble the valve to inpect/clean it, do I need to remove all the grids to get to the valve assembly from inside the canister or is there a way to access it from the bottom?

Thanks

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”