Leaking in Backwash Hose

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Leaking

Leaking in Backwash Hose

Postby Leaking » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 23:06

I vaccumed my pool today and now water keeps running through my backwash hose... I have it switched back to filter but water keeps running through (but not much, just a steady, light stream)... i had to close the valves otherwise i would have created another pool :) this has never been a problem before

I did have it on "recirc" for about a minute before i put it back on filter... not sure if i have a leak...? clearly, the filter is not closing off and water is leaking through at the "filter/waste/backwash/recirc/rinse" switch (whatever that is called :)

one more thing... I did do a backwash and went through those steps, thinking maybe the filter did not close cleanly... didn't help.

Any ideas?

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Leaking Backwash line

Postby Larry » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:29

The 6-way valve, or multiport valve, is not closing off the waste line. This is usually due to:
  • wear and tear of the spider gasket
  • scaling of the spider gasket
  • wear on the compression plate (rotor)
  • weakening of the compression spring
Generally the problem lies with the spider gasket, and replacing it solves the problem. Adding a valve to your waste line will stop the water loss, but may result in reduced or problematic filtration if the leak increases. Here are some pictures of a the spider gasket for multiport valves.

spider-gasket2.gif
Spider gasket 6-way valve
spider-gasket2.gif (5.23 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
spider-gasket1.gif
Spider gasket for 6-way valve
spider-gasket1.gif (4.94 KiB) Viewed 5299 times

Larry
Leaking

Leaking in Backwash Hose

Postby Leaking » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:55

Thanks Larry

I figured that it had to do with waste, since I had not vacuumed to waste in a very long time...

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”