Pump flow inconsistant

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
richhampton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump flow inconsistant

Postby richhampton » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 17:12

Hi, I'm new to forums. Just came by on my search to figure out what is wron with my pool.

I recently moved to a house with a pool, it worked fine for the last 2 months then recently the pool pump began acting differently. It cycles from moments of periods of little flow and suction in the vacum/skimmer/pool drains and slowly builds to a decent flow for a few seconds. Then it drops back to a very low flow. I've sat out there looking at valves forever wondering what could have happened. We did use the hot tub a few times which have different valve settings but I'm always sure to return them to the place the original settings. Sadly I can't seem to get the lid off of the pump to check for blockages or anything there but does that even sound like thats something it could be? Is the pump dying? Thanks for any info.

Pooltown Pros

Pump flow inconsistant

Postby Pooltown Pros » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 17:34

What you are describing sounds like your pump is gasping for water.

Is there any air being sucked into the system?

You've really got to get the pump basket lid off. Is it jammed or something that you couldn't move it?

Try to release it with all the lines open (and the pump off). You will probably find the basket is clogged with leaves and debris that are preventing the pump from quenching its thirst.

Ron
richhampton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump flow inconsistant

Postby richhampton » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 17:39

There is a slight bit of suction in the skimmer but very little. I've tried to move the lid but it is pretty stuck. I ahve a feeling that is the problem as well as I can kind of see in to basket through the hazy plastic lid and can see a good bit of stuff sloshing around. Maybe I'll call a friend over and see if two people can crank it open. It doesn't look like it's budged in a good while.
richhampton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump flow inconsistant

Postby richhampton » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 18:56

Alright, after a good bit of pounding on the lid with a rubber mallet and just good bit of cranking on it, it was removed. There was a bit of stuff, mostly grass and leaves. I cleaned it out but it's still doing the same thing. It has a ok flow coming in but just doesn't seem to be creating much suction. I actually shot a video once I cleaned the filter out. It's not the best but you can kind of hear and see the change about half-way through the video and then the quick drop back to the low flow.

http://www.djandl.com/pump.wmv (It's about 3megs and only about 20 seconds)
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Pump flow inconsistant

Postby Larry » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 19:09

The video was quite useful. It seems that the pump is not primed.

Open the lid and fill the basket sump with water. Use a hose because the water will run out to fill the suction line too. Once the sump is full, replace the lid and make sure the gasket is seated well for an airtight seal.

Now run the pump. If the sump empties out again (like in the video) then repeat the process until the pump is able to draw a constant flow of water from the pool.

Larry
richhampton
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump flow inconsistant

Postby richhampton » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 21:11

I attempted to prime the pump 4 times. Each time the moment I would turn on the pump the water would rush out and return to it's low flow state. It would still surge occasionally but I guess from what you are saying it's failing to prime. The lid and gasket seem to making a good seal...I even get a little *thwoop* when I take it off. One thing I noticed is the pressure gauge on the filter canister (not sure what the proper term for that is) says 0psi when it's in low flow mode and when it surges it kicks up to about 20psi. I might just call a professional out tomorrow to look at it.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Pump flow inconsistant

Postby Larry » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 01:06

If the pump cannot feed itself there could possibly be a blockage on the suction line. It may also be the result of an "air" leak which is allowing the pump to suck air and consequently to lose prime.

Please keep us updated

Larry

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”