Black Ground Sheet For Pool ?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
MARKAFN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 16 FOOT ULTRA FRAME POOL

Postby MARKAFN » Fri 20 Mar, 2009 15:41

Someone told me that if i put my pool on a black ground sheet it will heat up in the sun and warm the pool from underneath , is this correct ?? has anyone done this ?? did it work ???

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 20 Mar, 2009 19:16

A typical white plaster uncovered pool will absorb around 60% of the sun's energy via absorption of light (including infrared) by the water in the pool (see this post for technical details). If you use a black bottom of any kind, whether it be using black vinyl or black colored plaster, then you will have the pool absorb more like 90% or so of the sun's energy. It does work, but even better is to use a solar cover that is clear to all but UV light (blocking the UV will help reduce chlorine breakdown from sunlight). If the cover is well-insulating, but passes visible light and infrared through, then it will keep in the absorbed heat that would otherwise be lost from evaporation and convection/conduction (but not radiation), very similar to the way a greenhouse works.

Richard

Postby Guest » Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:45

if i put my pool on a black ground sheet it will heat up in the sun

Simply put, no! The black groundsheet will heat up around the pool (if there is overlap), but the part directly under the pool doesn't see the sun and will have no effect on the heat of the water.

I think Richard was referring to the color of the pool surface. His observations regarding a solar cover are accurate and t is something you could consider to increase the water temp and reduce chemical use.i
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 21 Mar, 2009 01:51

You're right. I was thinking the black ground sheet was referring to the color of the vinyl surface at the bottom of the pool that is still exposed to the sun. If the ground sheet is underneath the pool's bottom surface, then the color of that sheet is irrelevant.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”