Clicking Sound in Motor

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.

Clicking Sound in Motor

Postby Guest » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 19:44

I have a 2 speed Hayward pump which is working on low speed, but making a clicking sound, only, on high speed. I had a problem where the return hose from the filter kept detaching, and I lost water on several occasions, before I became aware of the situation. Once I started having that problem, I did not run the pump on high for the rest of the summer. Could the high speed have become permanently damaged, without damage to the low speed. Conversely, on a 2 speed pump, does the impeller turn in the opposite direction for the 2 speeds? If it is broken, is it worth having it repaired or would it make more sense to buy a new one; the pump is 6 years old.

Clicking Sound in Motor

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 00:21

This does seem to indicate an impeller problem :(
Janmar
I'm new here
I'm new here

Clicking Sound in Motor

Postby Janmar » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 17:07

Thanks for your response. Any idea whether or not it is worth it to have it repaired?

Clicking Sound in Motor

Postby Guest » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 01:06

A persistent problem could cause permanent pump damage and may result in bigger problems down the line. The call is yours. If you can live with the pump for now and are happy to deal with the consequences of a potential breakdown later then it's your decision.
:wink:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”