Accutrol System?

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Bud

Accutrol System?

Postby Bud » Sat 28 Mar, 2009 06:29

Does anyone here use an Accutrol (by Pentair) system to regulate their chemicals in the pool?

We have had a slew of problems as of late and I would like to chat with anyone who has used any of their systems.

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Accutrol System?

Postby Me... » Sat 28 Mar, 2009 09:44

I've used some of their models for years. What model do you have? Many controller issues relate to other things besides the controller though.
Bud

Acutrol System?

Postby Bud » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 16:10

We are using the AK110. So far we have had every item replaced and still we are getting inaccurate readings.

For instance, when i come in on Mondays the pool has a 10ppm free chlorine level and the acutrol says it only has less than 4PPm. During the week it keeps up okay but on the weekend for whatever reason it stops calculating correctly.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Accutrol System?

Postby Me... » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 08:34

Salt System maybe? Wouldn't be the first time I heard of a blinded probe. Could be excess current escaping for a number of reasons including worn out cell(s).

Next would be pH stability. I just went to a job, no calcium, no alkalinity, drain and refill the spa every 3-4 days and let the controller work from zero. This is not their function, they need to start with balanced water and MAINTAIN it. So the pH bounced all over and when it was high, no matter what the controller said, the ORP reading would be falsely low and continue to feed. Guess what, more acid demand and depending on how their feeder (if they have one) is set up, the pH may continue to be high or bounce there because of an alk reading of like 10 or maybe 0. And the chlorine continues to feed.

The reverse can also happen. If the actual pH is low you get a falsely high ORP reading and can end up with no chlorine.

This wasn't an Acu-trol but then this can happen to any controller. With all the programmability of the AK110 there can be an alarm issue. Sometimes the operator will set the pH alarm too tight and the system stops feeding pH in the late evening. pH rises, ORP reading drops and it feeds more chlorine. With no pH control in effect it can go crazy fairly fast. Especially with the weekend demand as you say happens. Remember those AK alarms reset after 24 hrs too. This is when the timeclock/data recording capability becomes very valuable.

Couple of ideas there and there will be more.
Bud

Accutrol System?

Postby Bud » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 19:08

Hey thanks for the ideas, I will run them by everyone at work tomorrow!

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”