Upgrading equipment, what to choose?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....

Postby Guest » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 08:31

snikorswim
Our current system has a HW DE EC-65 w/HW Maxflow 1 HP pump all about 10+ yrs old, best guess. Filter and pump are about 10-12’ from skimmer and ~18” off water level and in a shed by the pool. 20 x 40 x 8(deep end), vol 35K gals with a DTH of 50ish, is this correct?
Pool is ~15+ years old, we only have one 220v line into box and that is being used for heat pump, so we only have 115V for pump/motor. Pool has one skimmer and two inlets, all plumbing lines are 1.5”. We are using an in-line Hayward (tablet) chlorinator and heat pump. There is an additional inlet on side of pool but I think it is for a pressure cleaner, we have a Dolphin auto cleaner (in love) :D so that inlet will never be used, can we use this as an additional inlet? :?:

We want a cartridge filter and more effect pump. We like the Pentair Whisper flow pumps but are not set in stone, understand the “+one up size” when it comes to the filter.

Need to know what size cartridge (sq ft) and what size pump (115v) will work with our pool and new filter.

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 08:42

1 skimmer and NO Main Drain? The 1.5" lines are limiting you to about 40gpm or maybe 50 to push it but a single skimmer is also very limiting. If you had a Main Drain line coming right into the equipment room this could help allow a nice flow. The extra return can be used as such and would good to use because it allows 2 x 1.5" lines back to the pool.

Another problem IF you even have a Main Drain is the entrapment/evisceration issue I am sure you have probably heard about now. I have no idea what is in your pool now but it does not take a lot of suction to do cause death or severe injury if someone gets trapped on a fitting.

Postby Guest » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 09:11

I was told that the system did have a main drain but it was close up after new liner was repalced. If the liner gets replace again we will look into opening drain, but that is for another day.

Just to confirm, you said we can use to side inlet (cleaner) to give us 3 inlets back into the pool. If so would this not help the flow (gpm) slightly?

Ok, that being cleared up, what or how many sqft of cartridge filter do i need and what size 115v pump?
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:20

You are limited by pipe sizes to really no more than about 40 gpm. Cartridge filters are rated in sq.ft. and about a gallon a minute per sq.ft. In other words for you a 40 sq.ft. filter. I would go 100 sq.ft. if you can, it only leads to longer run times and compensates somewhat for vacuuming etc.

A good pump like a 1/2hp Whisperflow by Pentair will be good. It will easily do your 40gpm.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:27

Yeah your plumbing is very limiting. You have a decent size pool and should have two skimmers. Yes the cleaner line can be used as a third return. The whisperflow pumps are good but I would stick with a 1- 1 1/2 HP motor- your 120v line will not be an issue. With a pool this size I would go with a sand filter over a cartridge filter. If you do purchase a cartridge filter I would strongly suggest buying extra cartridges.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”