Please help choose a pool cleaner

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14'000 in ground green alagae filled. :)

Postby poobs » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 16:26

My Hayward Navigator needs another rebuild. This time it will cost $150.00 :sick:

The store has another type of cleaner - the ones that look like a cheap unbrella. Matter of fact they are much less expensive than my Navigator.

will they work the same ? Is there a down side in reliability or repair parts cost ?

The cheapest one was the Barracuda G3 $200 after Rebates

I need to move fast - they are selling like hot cakes :mrgreen:

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 08:36

Navigator would be my choice, what is going wrong with it? Rough pool finishes play havoc with them, excess vacuum and other issues. And will happen with whatever you buy.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby poobs » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:18

Me... wrote:Navigator would be my choice, what is going wrong with it? Rough pool finishes play havoc with them, excess vacuum and other issues. And will happen with whatever you buy.

My navigator worked for a year or two with no problems unless the filter was very dirty since this would deprive the pool cleaner of the required flow.
It got it rebuilt eventually but now it seems to need parts totaling nearly half the cost of the unit.

If I know for certain what was wrong with it , Id buy the parts on line and fix it myself.
They said the two things that alternate going up and down next to the wings were bad. When I rock them gently up down they seem to have a lot of play.
The robot just flounders there on the bottom. :?

I read some reviews on the Barracuda and it is a case of getting what you pay for assuming I get it on sale. Now as for paying full price - I would not even consider this model because of the negative reviews.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 11:49

This site has a nice breakdown. If you can fix it, then you should be able to diagnose the worn parts. I say again though, every cleaner will wear out, everything wears out, and parts are always costly in regards to the whole product.

http://www.mypool.com/Help_files/Parts_ ... igator.htm

I still prefer Navigators, simple, easy and vacuum, which is what you are wanting, Nothing will replace brushing.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby poobs » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 17:14

Me... wrote:This site has a nice breakdown. If you can fix it, then you should be able to diagnose the worn parts. I say again though, every cleaner will wear out, everything wears out, and parts are always costly in regards to the whole product.

http://www.mypool.com/Help_files/Parts_ ... igator.htm

I still prefer Navigators, simple, easy and vacuum, which is what you are wanting, Nothing will replace brushing.

Thank you very much for the link to the parts break down. I may bring it to another store to see if A) Get a lowe estimate or B) The technician gives me enough information for me to give it a go.

I took it apart and the turbine seems to work as does the litle steering doo hickey. The feet are not too worn so that leads me to think that it is the part number 31 or the parts where it pivots.

I bailed on the above mentinend Barracuda. I asked the store clerk if I could return it if it did not work well in my pool and he stamered a lot then told me that the rep would have to come to my house etc etc.
He also told me that it would probably get stuck a lot in my pool since it is rectangular with radiused corners.

Oh well :?

I ran the robot yesterday right after cleaning the filter so that it would have maximum power - the side thingys kicked prety fast but the robot stayed put most of the time. I can't figure out what it is.
The hose also seemed to not rotate on the attachment at the top of the robot but when I took it out of the water I could rotate it by hand.
I'm taking it to another pool store today :thumbup:

The pool is clearing up nicely but my cartridge is taking a beating form all the cleaning required.

Update

I took my pool robot to another store. the nice young man checked it out, tightened one screw and now it works great and it was all free of charge :thumbup:
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:16

I personally dont like robots. I would suggest a polaris auto cleaner. A little expensive but will last for years with proper maintanance
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”