Normal filter backpressure increase vs time ?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14'000 in ground green alagae filled. :)

Postby poobs » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 09:50

My new 120 sq inch cartridge filter is taking a beating trying to clean my 14'000 pool.
I noticed that the back pressure on the gauge builds up rather quickly and flow decreases.
I've cleaned the filter initially with a hose, then with a low pressure power washer and then with the power washer after soaking the filter for 1/2 hour in a detergent solution.
The back pressure is very low at first but within about 1/2 hour it has increased over 20 lbs from where it started.
It does this despite the fact that the pool water has been ( visually ) clear for two days.

Is it time for a new cartridge or what ? :shifty:

Thanks

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 10:07

I always recommended that people using cartridge filters buy 2 cartridges. It gives you a huge time frame to properly clean the dirty filter and instead of 2 years, by cycling them you get 4 years. Pull the dirty one, soak it overnight and spend the time to get it really clean. Then set it aside to dry and maybe next month or so swap them. Gives you a month or more to get around to cleaning it. You may get more than 2 years out of a filter but by then the fabric is pretty worn and plugged and the rubber might not be sealing properly anymore, they do not last forever.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby poobs » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:10

Me... wrote:I always recommended that people using cartridge filters buy 2 cartridges. It gives you a huge time frame to properly clean the dirty filter and instead of 2 years, by cycling them you get 4 years. Pull the dirty one, soak it overnight and spend the time to get it really clean. Then set it aside to dry and maybe next month or so swap them. Gives you a month or more to get around to cleaning it. You may get more than 2 years out of a filter but by then the fabric is pretty worn and plugged and the rubber might not be sealing properly anymore, they do not last forever.

Thanks !

So you think mine is just dirty since I have not taken time to soak it for a long time ? :?:
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:19

Think of your laundry. If you used your shirt to filter your pool water for a month, how much cleaning would it need? Your shirt is much more porous than the filter element but it would still plug up eventually and a quick soak wouldn't really clean it very effectively.

Go buy a new filter and put it in. Its not a loss because eventually you will need one anyway and its probably cheaper today than in 2 years. Clean your old one thoroughly while you see if the new one works better for you.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby poobs » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 13:48

Me... wrote:Think of your laundry. If you used your shirt to filter your pool water for a month, how much cleaning would it need? Your shirt is much more porous than the filter element but it would still plug up eventually and a quick soak wouldn't really clean it very effectively.

Go buy a new filter and put it in. Its not a loss because eventually you will need one anyway and its probably cheaper today than in 2 years. Clean your old one thoroughly while you see if the new one works better for you.

Thanks, I will order a new cartridge 8) .

Forgot to mention that I used a clarifier. Does this hurt the cartridge ?

Also. anything wrong with generic or non name brand filters ? My filter is a Hayward

Cheers

P
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 15:56

Most any are ok. And yes, most definitely a clarifier will plug the filter up faster. Some will floc stuff to the bottom where it needs to be vacuumed up, and others join smaller particulate together and keep it suspended until the filter can grab it. The latter is what you must have put in and is my preference.
poobs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby poobs » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 19:01

Yes, what I put in is said make particles clump together and - boy did it ever !!!

It was like long sections of muck on the bottom - the product of two loads of DE from the old filter plus about 4 algae blooms.

It looks much much better now but the water has a slight haze to it.

Today I came home and sprayed the filter cartridge with some Mr clean and let it soak then I power washed it - (gently) to get the soap out. It came out whiter than ever. when I fired up the filter the initial back pressure reading was lower than before. Hopefully it is not due to a hole blown in it :wtf:
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:15

Look to get a filter cleaner/degreaser. Grease and calcium build up within the pleats of the cartridge could be causing some of your problems.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”