Need new pump suggestions - 2nd motor gone in 3 years

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.

Postby Guest » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 23:35

I have about 13000 gallons inground pool, plaster, with Pentair DE Filter, A Polaris Booster pump, Pentair 1.5HP Pump. The pool equipment is higher than Pool, and there are some minor air leaks in my system. The pool equipment was put in 4 years ago brand new. So far I have had to replace 1 motor of the pool pump about 2 years ago after the previous one was underperforming quite a bit. ( It ran w/o water for quite some time and I didnt catch it.).

Well, I have been quite careful since then, and have learned a bit more on the pool equipment (installed the salt water generator myself after buying it from Woot!!!), and have been reasonably careful with not letting the pump run dry, except when it starts for a few minutes. Now, the pump is running slow again, sounds pretty bad, and is not putting enough pressure. I thaught the filter may be clogged, so this weekend, but it though some serious cleaning, putting it though some acid & TSP solution. After the clean fitle, w/o the DE, the pump was still only giving me about 2 PSI on the filter. (My normal is around 8 PSI).

Looks like its time to replace the pump again, and I would like to solicity some expert advice before spending the money and time:-

1) any suggestions on which pump to get ? I dont like the idea of needing to replace the motor every 2-3 years.
2) is that normal to need to replace the motor this frequently?
3) Do I have a undersized pump ?
4) Do I need to update the plumbing to get rid of the air leaks ? IS that the root of the problem? OR should I install new valves that prevent backflow? ( I would need to redo considerable amount of plumbing given the current setup)

Thanks in advance, first time poster here :-)

Postby Guest » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 00:14

The Pentair 1.5 hp pump is both big enough and is a good reliable brand. The pump problems are not a result of this pump.

1) any suggestions on which pump to get ? I dont like the idea of needing to replace the motor every 2-3 years.
2) is that normal to need to replace the motor this frequently?
3) Do I have a undersized pump ?
4) Do I need to update the plumbing to get rid of the air leaks ? IS that the root of the problem? OR should I install new valves that prevent backflow?

2) A motor should last for many years, as should the pump.
3) No, it is ideal (if not a little big)
4) YES. Get rid of the air leaks. A self-priming centrifugal pump relies on water for cooling and 'lubrication' of the impeller and diffuser. Running the pump dry or underprimed causes all sorts of frictional and heat deformation damage to the pump. The motor remains unaffected generally and you could consider replacing only your pump if the motor is performing well.

Postby Guest » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 10:21

Thanks Guy. I will be looking to replace the full pump then (expensive :( ). The motor sounds really bad, so I am pretty sure that needs to be gone as well.

Thanks again. Time for leggos!
Aquaclear-NZ
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: ingound, 50,000L, gas heated, low energy pump and cartridge filter

Postby Aquaclear-NZ » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 23:51

getting rid of the air leaks would be your best best, doesnt matter what pump you buy, they should last a bit longer than 6 - 12 months. they are designed to run for at least 300,000 cycles - however not dry, not for any length of time.
your air leak could well be after the pump as well - did it always leak before you installed your salty ?

Motors can be serviced, but you need to look more at the cause of the problem rather than a quick solution
Chocolate fish do not swim in hot water

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”