Pump Priming / Filter Problem

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Dallaspls
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool/spa, cartridge filter

Postby Dallaspls » Thu 09 Apr, 2009 06:46

My pump will lose its prime after about an hour or so. If I take the filter cover off (Hayward cartridge) and put it back on (without changing the filter), the pump will regain the prime and work well for another hour. Of course the filter is clean. There are no leaks in any of the lines or valves. The pool water level is high and the pump basket cover's gasket has been re-cleaned and lubed. I have a spare filter and the same thing happens.

The Hayward filter seems very basic and it looks like there should be very little to fail. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:08

Do you have any air bubbles under the pump lid or coming out of the returns? Are all your valves fully open leading to the pump?
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
Dallaspls
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Dallaspls » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:56

Muss, thanks for the response. I have bubbles both under the lid & out of the returns. I actually direct PVC the suction line to the pump (temporarily removed the valve). Here is what I also did:

1.Hydro pressure below ground PVC - no problems - hold steady pressure for 25 mins
2.Replaced the pump & diffuser with a second one I have - no change
3.Hydro pressure tested the pump motor/ & housing (including the PVC leading up to the pump & PVC out of the pump - holds pressure for 25 mins - no problems
4.Tested the pump motor for 240v both with no load & under load - no problems
5.Tested for prime with a newly cleaned filter & without a filter - No prime
6.Checked for obstructions in the pressure pipe but havent found any

The only thing remaining to me is the Hayward cartridge filter. I could bypass that with PVC but do not have a great hope it will do any good.

muss08 wrote:Do you have any air bubbles under the pump lid or coming out of the returns? Are all your valves fully open leading to the pump?
Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 17:02

sounds like you have an air leak, this would be between the pump and the pool, do you have any valves in between? doubt the filter is a problem if they are clean
Pool repair guy
Dallaspls
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Dallaspls » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 17:14

No valves in between the pump & pool. The line has been tested, as has been the line leading to the pump & the pump itself (all for leaks). I think you're right, its not the filter. I am now thinking there may not be sufficient voltage to the pump - although it did show 240v at the pump when in use. Thanks for the help.

Pooltech32 wrote:sounds like you have an air leak, this would be between the pump and the pool, do you have any valves in between? doubt the filter is a problem if they are clean

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”