Low pressure, loud pump

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Phlimm
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Low pressure, loud pump

Postby Phlimm » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 19:55

We had some high winds the last few days and both the skimmer basket and the pump basket were very full of leaves, bark, etc. The pump basket had actually split from top to bottom so I replaced it.

With all the stuff cleared out and a new basket installed, the pump still sounds loud, like it is running air instead of water, but I can see water through the top where the basket is loaded. There is suction on the Hayward lines, but pressure, which usually run between 15-20 is now less then 10.

Did something wrap around the impeller blades? Ugh. That sounds really scary to try to fix, but there is no way I can afford a service call at the moment.

Also, how does one go about changing the underwater light bulbs? Ours seem to have stopped working. I imagine it involves draining the pool, in which case we will swim in the dark, but I just want to get an official answer.

Thanks a lot!

Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Low pressure, loud pump

Postby Pooltech32 » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 22:34

your lights can be easily fixed with out draining the pool, there will be 1 or 2 screws on the front of the light. undo them and the light will/should pop right out.

your pump may have a plugged impellor, I would try and feel with your finger inside the pump towards the impellor to see if you can touch debris, I have in the past used a shorter screwdriver to clear out the impellor, it is not a s good as opening the pump and doing a complete clean out but will often do the job.
Pool repair guy
Phlimm
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Low pressure, loud pump

Postby Phlimm » Sat 18 Apr, 2009 20:46

Thanks a lot!! Your advice about the impeller was right on. I just reached in there and found a bunch of leaves and seed casings. Once they were out, the pump runs nice and quiet and the pressure is back to where it should be. :D

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”