Pool leak, water rises-pump on,lowers-pump off

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mollygirl
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground, 16 X 40, hayward pump, sand filter, vermiculite shell w liner

Postby mollygirl » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:36

Heres a good one for you all, welcome any sugesstions. Opened the pool 1 week ago. Ran the filter continusously.Every morning the water level rose 2-3 inches (no rain).I would backwash to bring it down, yet it kept rising. So I turned off the pump for a night and the level dropped slightly. Ran it for the day, rose again. Turned off pump for the night again, this time it dropped about 3-4 inches. Now every time I turn the pump off,it drops significantly. I plugged up the stairs, shallow end, deep end and skimmer one at a time to see if the problem continued and it did. I assume it is the main drain. I thought maybe there was a crack in the main drain piping and sucking in in water from the ground and blowing it back in and when the pump is off it leaks out. But if I have a crack in the main drain piping, why did'nt it drain over the winter?? PLEASE HELP!!!

sameproblem

Postby sameproblem » Tue 12 May, 2009 13:31

I have a similar situation. I have been told that a valve that is supposed to close when the pump is turned off does not shut so water flows backward. I am not actually loosing water since I do not need to add any when the pump goes back on. You might have someone check your valves.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”