Another Green Pool, need help

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
hthr12
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby hthr12 » Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:35

I'm new to the forum and have been fighting a green pool. We recently moved in, they let the pool go all winter without any cleaning. I went to the pool store yesterday and she gave me yellow out (poured in 2 lbs) and Cal Hypo (poured in 4 lbs). I used them as she said and took a sample of water back today and here are my readings:

Saturation Index: .60
Total Dissolved Solids: 500
Free Chlorine: 2.7
total Chlorine: 2.8
Combined Chlorine: .1
PH: 8.1
Cyanuric Acid: 0
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
Total Alkalinity: 150 ppm
Adjusted total Alkalinity: 150

What do I do next?

hthr12
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby hthr12 » Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:37

Sorry I forgot to post the details. The pool is in ground with a vinyl liner 15,000 gallons.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 25 Apr, 2009 21:00

If the pool is outdoors exposed to direct sunlight, then you'll want to get at least some Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the pool or else the chlorine won't hold in sunlight. However, you don't want too much. You can get some Dichlor powder/granules which will add both chlorine and CYA. Just keep in mind that for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm. You can use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosages.

You also need to use a lot of chlorinating liquid to get rid of the algae, and you need to use some acid to get the pH down (very carefully added over a return flow with the pump running). See Defeating Algae for more details.
hthr12
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby hthr12 » Sun 26 Apr, 2009 13:40

Thank you for the response. I added Muriatic Acid and cya. The pool started to look a little better but still green blue cloudy. So I swept all over and tons of dark green algae started to surface. What now? need to add a bunch of chlorine right away to kill it?
Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Sun 26 Apr, 2009 21:49

Yes you need to shock it, get the chlorine up to about 5ppm-10ppm to kill any remaining algea, then I would top the pool up with water, wait for the pool to settle and vacuum to waste/drain. That will get rid of your algea on the bottom
Pool repair guy
hthr12
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby hthr12 » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 07:05

Well, I have been vacuuming, brushing, back washing and holding high chlorine for two days now. From a distance the pool looks like a pretty blue oasis but when you get close there is only around 4 inches of visibility. What do I do now? Should I add clarifier or just wait?
Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 17:49

wait a few more days
Pool repair guy

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”