Opened pool to calcium deposits

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
michigan

Water behind liner

Postby michigan » Wed 06 May, 2009 21:24

Anyone else in Michigan having this problem? We opened our pool today and our liner is all bubbled out and seems to have water behind it? Need a responsible and honest pool guy!!

puzzled

Postby puzzled » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 12:50

I live in Ontario, Canada and have the same problem as momstime. Closed it the same way, have the same safety cover, same ice and snow. The pool has a marbelite finish. It started about 4 years ago with crystals forming around the walls below the tiles and some on the bottom. These crystals are so hard that you can't scrape them off manually, nor do they dissolve with muriatic acid. Last year the pool was drained and the crystals ground down (back to a smooth surface). Upon opening this year, surprise, even more crystal formation than ever before. The strange thing is we have had and maintained this pool for 30+ years without anything like this. It was remarbelized about 10 years ago. The only difference here is, solar panels were installed about 4 yeas ago to heat the water and a huge maple tree has emerged in my neighbor's yard, dropping leafs in and on the pool. Last year I think the pool chemical balance was checked closer than in any of the previous 30+ years.

It's a mystery and I don't understand what's happened.
clnpj24

Postby clnpj24 » Fri 04 Jun, 2010 16:04

We bought our house about 6 years ago and we have a gunite pool that is... old but in good shape. This is the first year that we have opened the pool to find scaling on the walls and floor of the pool. To the best of my knowledge we closed it the very same way we did in other years. The only difference I can think of is the amount of snow / water accumulation over the winter months. We too live in a climate that doesn't allow for the pool to be kept open all winter long and we close the pool in the very same way with what sounds like the very same cover as Michigan Momstime and puzzled.
geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby geeman » Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:06

Try using a stain and scale prevention agent during the season and make sure you are at about 20-25ppm before you close. Jacks Magic's "the Blue Stuff" will work. And, Jack makes a test kit that tests for the presence of their product in your pool water. For the spring opening, try Scale-Tec Plus to remove the scale that is already there. This product may take 3 to 5 weeks to work, but it does the job.
John Robert Murray
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 110000litre. quartzon

Postby John Robert Murray » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 21:55

I had a blue quartzon pool surface applied by pool builder& balanced by his poolshop, within a couple of weeks white calcifications appearded even though pool was balanced fortnightly, at the end of 1st summer , pool was drained, acid washed refilled & rebalanced , agian white spots appeared. Pool bulider & Quartzon say PH is critical , pool was balanced as per Quartzon directions but it seems more than that to me?
John Murray
PoolTileCleaner

Postby PoolTileCleaner » Fri 17 Sep, 2010 17:54

What ever you do don't use a pumice stone on thoes pool tiles. If they are scratched it will be worse the next year. Call A pool tile cleaning service. http://www.surfacerenewal1.com :thumbup:
Missy

Postby Missy » Fri 29 Jun, 2012 14:25

We have had a pool for 2 years now. The pool is clear except around the whole edge is a calcium rust build up. It is like sand paper. It cuts open the bottom of your feet! It is extremely frustrating! Please please help
Pjgd1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Gunite/Marcite
17000 gallons
SWG, Filter & Heater all Pentair

Re: Opened pool to calcium deposits

Postby Pjgd1 » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 11:05

Hi! I know your post is old but I was wondering what the end result was. Similar problem. Pool built and opened last June 2016. Pool builder closed then opened in April 2017. Opened to calcium crystals or whatever those sharp crystals are all over walls and floor of pool. Pool builder told me it was my fault I didn’t take Winter service where they come out in Feb and check chemicals in pool. I live in New England! Pool was covered. Forward to now, I had another company acid wash but crystals could only be remove by sanding. No guarantee that this won’t happen again. Ready to call an attorney!! Pool builder will not return calls! Do you have any advice??

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”