Above Ground Pool & Salt Water Filter Help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
TTran
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby TTran » Sun 26 Apr, 2009 19:09

Just got our new 10 x 30 intex above ground pool about 3 weeks ago. Seems like I am always adding chlorine after doing tests and shocking it. Heard about the Salt Water Filters on how the maintenance is much less and feels better. Went out to look at one and the manual gives how much salt to add for the smallest pool, which is 15 x 4. Doing the math all I would have to do is cut the amount of salt suggested in half for my size pool, my question is would it be okay to use for my size pool?

It didn't say to not use on a smaller size but I would like to get some advice before I buy it.

Here is the link to the filter I was looking at. Any other suggestions would be great also.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5601479

Thank you in advance for any feedback :thumbup:

TTran

Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Pooltech32 » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 17:24

Have you added stabilzer to your pool, also known as conditioner or cynuric acid? the sun is probably burning your chlorine off, I don't know anything about this unit from walmart, remember you get what you pay for. Do you have a heater?
Pool repair guy
tigervet436

Postby tigervet436 » Mon 18 May, 2009 23:34

I don't think that is actually a filter at all. It is to be used with a filter system. It is actually a chlorine generator. It uses salt , usually in the 2700- 3400 ppm range , to make chlorine for sanitizing the water. 25# of salt in 1000 gallons is 3000 ppm. Your pool figures to ~ 1470 gallons so about 37 # of salt should get you in the ball park.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”