CYA Levels very High. Need some help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Industen
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Industen » Fri 01 May, 2009 05:43

I'm going to be opening my pool in the next couple weeks and need some help. My CYA levels are around 200 and chorine didn't seem to do much last year. I was using 3 inch pucks over the course of 2 years(liner was replaced) It's 25000 gal.

I want to drain the pool and start all over. Is it safe to do this? When the new liner was put in a vacuum was running behind the liner until the water hit a certain point, then removed. I just want to know if problems will arise when the pool is completly drained.

Also I want to go with liquid chorine this time. How exactly should I add chemicals to get them balanced and in which order because I notice some chems increase in other areas. PH before Alk...etc. I have a good test kit.

Thanks much

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Fri 01 May, 2009 08:45

First off post the test results for your fill water. Then you are going to have to drain at least half the water and refill. Maybe twice. Partially draining the pool should be ok but you want to make sure you have water over the entire floor just to be safe. Drain a couple of feet, refill, drain a couple feet, refill. A CYA test periodically will tell you what you want to know. Get it down to 30-40 ppm.

Post your fill water makeup and then a test of the actual water and someone will tell you the rest.
Industen
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Industen » Wed 13 May, 2009 05:47

Here are the results after I drained it 1/3 and refilled it. (25000gal)

The Cholrine is 0. Nothing happens after I test it. No change
PH 7.4
ALK 140
CYA 60 This dropped a lot before it was off the chart my guess would be 200

Mind you the winter cover is still on so it really isn't circulating as of yet. I just want a jump on what chemicals and quanity I should get so I have them on hand.

I am staying far away from the 3 inch pucks so I'm going with a liquid cholrine any suggestions on what I should do to get this balanced would be greatful.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Wed 13 May, 2009 08:09

Most important would be to get it circulating. You now need to get some chlorine in there, maybe walk around the pool and pour in a gallon, but get it circulating first. You are going to need to dump a cup or so of acid in 2 or 3 times anyways to get the alkalinity down but wait at least a couple hours after you add the chlorine. Post a fill water test and a pool water test after you work on the chemistry for a day or 2 and see if the CYA came down any more.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”