or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
bnsfengineer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 built 2008 plaster salt system

Acid Bath?

Postby bnsfengineer » Mon 11 May, 2009 12:52

I asked a friend who previously owned a Pool Service business for many years how I could remove staining on my new plaster pool without acid washing. He told me in many cases he had before he would add between 4 & 6 gallons of acid(depending on pool size) and turn off pump and remove auto cleaner and brush every day for about 4-5 days then get ph back up to safe level and start filtering, he also said he added something else to suspend what would be removed as so it could be filtered out. I want to know if anyone has heard of this procedure before, he said it is not as abrasive as acid washing and it should remove most calcium stains and others. I have my Ph at my lowest level since completion(11mos) followed the posts on here (70pppm) but staining is still apparent. Also my calcium level is low & I have been checking regularly.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Acid Bath?

Postby Denali » Thu 21 May, 2009 20:32

bnsfengineer wrote:I asked a friend who previously owned a Pool Service business for many years how I could remove staining on my new plaster pool without acid washing. He told me in many cases he had before he would add between 4 & 6 gallons of acid(depending on pool size) and turn off pump and remove auto cleaner and brush every day for about 4-5 days then get ph back up to safe level and start filtering, he also said he added something else to suspend what would be removed as so it could be filtered out. I want to know if anyone has heard of this procedure before, he said it is not as abrasive as acid washing and it should remove most calcium stains and others. I have my Ph at my lowest level since completion(11mos) followed the posts on here (70pppm) but staining is still apparent. Also my calcium level is low & I have been checking regularly.

Your friend is describing a "No drain Acid wash." Google it and you'll find it. United Chemicals is the company that sells the kit you would need. It does work but requires work on your end. Lots of brushing, the more the better.

I would first find out the cause and type of the staining. For small areas of stain there are other methods. Is this calcium buildup? metal staining? It makes a difference on how you approach it.
bnsfengineer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 built 2008 plaster salt system

Acid Bath?

Postby bnsfengineer » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 11:27

Thanks for the information I found it and Iam in the middle of the process, on 3rd day and will post again of the results.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Acid Bath?

Postby Denali » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 18:53

bnsfengineer wrote:Thanks for the information I found it and Iam in the middle of the process, on 3rd day and will post again of the results.

I have done these before myself and best advice is BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH. Good luck with it.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Acid Bath?

Postby mr_clean » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 16:02

you have a new plastered pool with stains?
are your chemicals balanced?
is it from leaves?
what type of pool surface do you have?
what color is it?

sequestering agent is what he used, there are many different brands/metal removers.
know depending on how high a level you have will depend on controlling it at the begining and after this you need to still use it or it basically starts again if it's from metals.
adding a qt bottle every 6-months is a good prevenative to maintain your pool.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”