Pump and Filter Replacement

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Bob M

Postby Bob M » Wed 13 May, 2009 11:59

I have a DE filter that is on its last legs. I need to replace the filter and pump. I have sized the system and made choices for DE and Sand filters. Is this something an experienced handyman can do?

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Thu 21 May, 2009 05:45

Hi,

It isn't hard to do especially if dealing with PVC lines.

Good luck.
megabyte29
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pentair 320 filter, hayward pump

Postby megabyte29 » Sun 24 May, 2009 15:14

Yeah the average plumber can do the job. When you say handyman Im getting the picture you are not handy with tools. Because its really just buying the components and attaching them with pipes. There are many manuals that show how to do it and using glue isnt that hard HOWEVER you should do it right the first time because if you have a leak you might have to buy new plastic pipes and start over as the glue isnt forgiving. Dont forget to use pipe tape on all threads they should fit very tight and need a pipe wrench to tighten them (dont over tighten). I would attach everything prior to gluing them up make sure you have enough pipe and the angles are not too radical no pipes bending etc. Then use your plastic pipe glue generously on all connecting fittings dont miss a spot as that might be your new leak area. Your pipes in general should be tight without glue and clean no burrs where you cut the pipe to fit the job. This kind of job takes a plumber or pool guy about half an hour to do. Some pool pros will not do the job unless you buy everything from them for that reason I end up doing my own work. Probably will cost you about $50-$100 for the labor. Anymore is robbery!
bobmewis

Postby bobmewis » Thu 28 May, 2009 14:10

Thanks. I did the work this past weekend and saved myself $800.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 00:38

bobmewis wrote:Thanks. I did the work this past weekend and saved myself $800.

Sweet! Well done.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”