Air Building in the Pump Basket

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Dallaspls
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool/spa, cartridge filter

Postby Dallaspls » Fri 15 May, 2009 06:51

I have a good clearing of air in the pump strainer basket when my filter is clean (pressure is usually 18psi) - not 100% but it has always been about 98% air free. As the filter gets dirty, more air goes into the pump basket. When the psi reaches about 22psi then the basket is about 85% air free (so a lot of air). There are no leaks in the pump. The seal is new and lubed on the strainer basket. I have noticed tiny air bubbles flowing from the impeller but I'm not sure if that is normal. My signature should list all of my pool info. Thanks for any help.

Jim
15k inground pool/spa
3/4hp Whisperflow
Cartridge filter (Hayward)

forboon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55000 i think...medium anyway.

sand filter

chlorine

15 years old maybe

Postby forboon » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 17:21

I was looking around this site for numerous problems I have had and figured i'd at least give back some that I have learned. I had little pressure coming from my returns and small bubbles too. was worried there was a suction side like. eventually my creepy crawler wouldn't run, my pump would completely lose its prime and there was no water flow. in desperation I took the pump apart (was quite easy) and realized 2 of the four impeller sections where clogged. with a wire and about half an hour I unclogged it and the pump runs twice as good as it used and there are no bubbles. there's no way i could check the impeller or clear the debris without opening it. any handy person could do it, i think
4apple

Postby 4apple » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 12:41

When I use my regular hose and brush to vacume the pool I have no air bubbles in my filter basket. When I use the creepy crawler it gives me lots of air bubbles at the pump skimmer basket. When the pump is without any vacume devices it runs air free at the pump basket.
I have replaced all my hoses on the creepy crawler thinking it was a air leak in one of the hoses but this didn't help. Backwashed several times and this helps a wee bit but soon returns with the same air bubbles.
Any suggestions....and please don't tell you it's a leek in my return line....which I am starting to suspect.
Thanks for any any suggestions.
Dale.

Dallaspls wrote:I have a good clearing of air in the pump strainer basket when my filter is clean (pressure is usually 18psi) - not 100% but it has always been about 98% air free. As the filter gets dirty, more air goes into the pump basket. When the psi reaches about 22psi then the basket is about 85% air free (so a lot of air). There are no leaks in the pump. The seal is new and lubed on the strainer basket. I have noticed tiny air bubbles flowing from the impeller but I'm not sure if that is normal. My signature should list all of my pool info. Thanks for any help.

Jim
15k inground pool/spa
3/4hp Whisperflow
Cartridge filter (Hayward)
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 05 Jul, 2009 14:27

sense you have already replaced Kreepy krauly hoses and still get air in pump you can

1) lube pump lid 0-ring, when kk is hooked up there is more pressure compared to vacuuming.
2) check pump impeller for debris, take off lid, remove basket and reach in small bottom hole with finger or small screw driver and turn impeller. The impeller should turn very easy & normally debris will start falling out & you can see them. Also you may need to pull motor from the back of the pump to remove debris like said above as debris can block the impeller vains/channels.
3) if lubed & impeller is fine you can check the kk regulator that the hoses attach to in the skimmer. The spring which allows the regulator to automatically self adjust so you can still skim the pool can go bad and cause the pump to cavitate which you are see in the pump when it's running.
4) you can buy a hayward regulator which does not have a (bad-idea) spring and is a more manual type. It allows you to turn a handle to control the suction easier, so when you loosen handle the hole opens for less suction & when tightening more suction. You would need less suction which should get rid of cavitation.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”