COVERSTAR pool cover

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
awd

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby awd » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 13:14

The first thing to always check is the breaker and or the GFI that provides power.

Illinois
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Barrington Pool, inground

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Illinois » Sun 19 Jul, 2009 13:43

I need to purchase a set of plastic glides/slides that mount the pull rail. Does anyone know of a online source for Coverstar parts? Thanks Alex
poolcovers

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby poolcovers » Sat 08 Aug, 2009 08:57

If you're in the central indiana area, try calling Automatic Pool Covers, Inc. 317-579-2000.
We have been servicing and installing automatic covers since 1978, and since 2003, we have been manufacturing them as well.
We work with the most honest reliable pool builders in any given market, or we fire them.
We're not perfect, but we sure strive to be.
spaul100

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby spaul100 » Fri 14 Aug, 2009 17:52

My daughter had her Aquamatic rope break. It's clothesline rope, dacron braid. I'm a sailor and can't believe we aren't using a couple of sailing rope fibers with low stretch and strength of steel. Even these "specialty ropes" aren't as expensive as the clothesline ropes from pool dealers. I'm investigating these lines now and how to sew it back into the cover. The cover by the way isn't made to b e repaired so I'm investigating a splice technique from the electrical world and sailing tricks. If anyone is interested I'll be glad to post back what I find.
If anyone on the forum has advise I'd appreciate it.
ylwiron

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby ylwiron » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 17:30

Does anyone know where to purchase a new motor for a Coverstar? Mine runs fine if it is not hooked up to a GFCI, but apparently since they never installed a drain.... the sealed motor has absorbed a trace amount of water tripping the GFCI. Coverstar want $1500 for new, and $900 for rebuilt!
helpinghand
I'm new here
I'm new here

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby helpinghand » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:59

There maybe another option. Depending on the age & design of your motor, you might be able to have it opened, dried out & resealed. It would need to be returned to the factory, so you would want to coordinate that at a convenient time for you. Please remember that operating anything electrical within 5' of your pool needs to be on a GFI for your safety. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
ylwiron wrote:Does anyone know where to purchase a new motor for a Coverstar? Mine runs fine if it is not hooked up to a GFCI, but apparently since they never installed a drain.... the sealed motor has absorbed a trace amount of water tripping the GFCI. Coverstar want $1500 for new, and $900 for rebuilt!
juno1996
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby juno1996 » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:26

Hi, I'm the original poster for this Coverstar discussion topic and wanted to provide an update.

I received a communication this week from a Coverstar representative who appeared to be genuinely disappointed to hear about the problem with my cover.

Although I still think the repair work should have been fully handled under the warranty, I was impressed that they were willing to modify the repair bill and offer some add'l help should something go wrong in the short-term future.

So, I'm glad I posted the issue on the forum and I am glad Coverstar is willing to try to make things right.
dudsy

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby dudsy » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 21:29

let me tell you about my cover star cover. Replaced the ropes 5 times in 3 years. I call and the asshole rep told me that it was rodents or that the pulleys were off. Wanted me to measure tolerances in the channels.

I said that is not something that I think the custumer should have to do exspecially when the expence is so great. His reponse to me was "do you call the manufacture of your air conditioner when it breaks."

Long story short I would not recommend cover star to lick the sweat from my B@@@s

I think we should all get together and file class action law suit.

:x
rlmarcotte

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby rlmarcotte » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 17:29

Just got the bad news one of the ropes is about to fail and recommendation to replace both at the outragious price of $400 each installed. Any update on alternatives to upgrading rope quality/sourcing alternative to coverstar rope rip-off?
Incredulous

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Incredulous » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 20:21

I am in California and Poolsafe installed and serviced our cover. Our ropes snapped at about at two years, and Poolsafe said that the ropes only last for two years. But, because it was at the 2-year mark, they didnt chare us for labor OR for the rope. Took the kid about two hours to replace. I tried to grab the packaging for the rope, but he had already cleaned up and was in the truck. the rope was in a printed commercial package. I will say that my experience with the product has been good, but the sales guy warned me that I would replace the ropes every two years.

My pup just chewed a hole in the cover and I need to repair it. any ideas?
meganmole

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby meganmole » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 22:38

I can-t find the Coverstar mannual for troubleshooting. Where is the switch for freewheeling. My ropes are so tight the cover won't move. Please tell me where to look so I dont have to call the dreaded coverstar people.
jimsbiz

COVERSTAR pool cover rope

Postby jimsbiz » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 13:05

More damaged rope.. I relate to BC Green's rope issue. My indoor four year old CoverStar pool rope has 20 feet of extra length on each rope. When the ropes wind up on their reels -depending on how each rope overlaps itself on its reel -one rope's effective length will be longer than the others' and will result in slack rope flopping around on the longer rope's reel as the pool is uncovered.

As the rope winds on the reel, the reel diameter increases and can get to the point where the flopping slack rope can get pinched in the gap between the reel and the reel frame. Usually the motor is strong enough to pull the slack rope back out of the gap when the pool cover is reversed but the braided cover of the rope would have received some cut or fray damage from the pinch. The fraying will grow with continued use of the pool cover until the braided rope cover completely separates at the point where the pinch occurred. The frayed rope then can snag and break or the remaining rope core may just be too weak and break.

If there were less extra rope length to start with there would be less chance for the flopping slack to be pinched, as the effective diameter of the reel would be smaller than when it is fully wound with the extra rope length.

Has anyone found the equivalent replacement rope yet? I have examined the rope installed by CoverStar and it appears to have a 1/4" diameter polyester braided cover over an unbraided aramid or similar material core, but I have yet to find such on the market.

Also, has anyone found the procedure for replacing the ropes?

Question- is the extra rope length meant to increase the chance of rope pinch?
outdoorben

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby outdoorben » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 18:43

We have had a coverstar pool cover for about 8 years now. Haven't had any problems with the rope or main mechanisms, BUT:

1) key switch -- it wore out. I was going to replace it myself, but was really busy and had a pool party coming up. That stinking little switch cost $300.00 to replace! A team of two to replace the switch? I asked my wife "what is the most ridiculous amount you can imagine for that switch?" She said "$150.00". I said "double it" and she about hit the floor...

2) cover longevity part 1 -- no such thing. Our pool is on the south side of our house and it gets a lot of sun. Despite all their claims of longevity, the first lasted 3.5 years before is started cracking and leaking a ridiculous amount of water (very unsafe). Luckily, it was still under warranty so it didn't cost us an arm and a leg. However, to replace the whole cover (if it had been out of warranty) would have cost more than hiring a pool man for the entire time we owned the cover!

3) cover longevity part 2 -- despite their claims that we "got a bad batch of vinyl," our second cover started to crack again at just 3 years. Luckily, I found a product called 303 protectant that is a sunscreen for your stuff. That and some spot patching and we are nursing it along into year 4.5. This is despite Coverstar telling is to not put ANYTHING on the cover except for their special screen to the tune of hundreds of dollars per year as part of an incredibly overpriced "service call" that they "highly recommend". Sorry... I can clean out the leaves myself. Just tell me what the best sunscreen is for your short-live product! (BTW, I'm going to DOUSE my next cover from day one with sunscreen...)

4) The plastic runners that are on each side of the bar that spans the pool -- they wore out. I called Coverstar about replacements. They wanted $55.00 each! This is a poorly milled piece of plastic. I was fed-up at that point, so I went to a local plastics place and got some scrap. I then "milled" it on my table saw. A couple of hours later, I had 6 sets for $15.00 and some labor.

So, while I really like having a pool cover, I cannot recommend coverstar. Is there a better alternative? I don't know.

BTW, when this cover finally wears out, I'm going to try and find a local awning expert to make me a new one by copying the one I have.

-Ben
Helping Hand

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Helping Hand » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 21:03

meganmole wrote:I can-t find the Coverstar mannual for troubleshooting. Where is the switch for freewheeling. My ropes are so tight the cover won't move. Please tell me where to look so I dont have to call the dreaded coverstar people.

All of the instruction manuals are posted on the Coverstar Central web site free to review & down load. There are also several instructional videos you can watch to learn more about how the cover operates. If there is a particular item your looking for instruction on, please e-mail customer service and let them know what they can help you with. I hope this helps resolve your issue.

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Guest » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 21:09

p

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”