COVERSTAR pool cover

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Guest » Thu 15 Apr, 2010 20:35

where is the free wheeling switch

Joe Kohaut

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Joe Kohaut » Wed 05 May, 2010 11:10

I will let everyone I know and spread this news about this poorly designed product and poorly run company that does not stand behind their product. These ropes are a design flaw and they will not stand behind their product. If I can prevent 1 person from getting a pool cover installed by Performance pools of Minnesota and/or Coverstar, I will be a little relieved. My ain is to prevent at least 10 people from amking that mistake.
tomlouison

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby tomlouison » Sun 30 May, 2010 13:15

:( I thought we were the only ones having this many problems with our coverstar system. Ours in 7 years old and we've had multiple broken ropes, tracking replaced and broken parts in the motor. We are in our 50's and take very good care of our pool....no abuse at all. We have paid thousands of dollars in 7 years due to service calls and replacement parts. I wish we had NEVER purchased this type of cover. And the ridiculous part is.....when it breaks...there's NO way to open the cover manually, so you can't even use your pool !!!
the closest service center is in Indiana (we live in KY )....and yep, we pay them travel time !
I would not advise ANYONE to purchase a Coverstar !!!
tomlouison

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby tomlouison » Sun 30 May, 2010 13:19

tomlouison wrote::( I thought we were the only ones having this many problems with our coverstar system. Ours is 7 years old and we've had multiple broken ropes, tracking replaced and broken parts in the motor. We are in our 50's and take very good care of our pool....no abuse at all. We have paid thousands of dollars in 7 years due to service calls and replacement parts. I wish we had NEVER purchased this type of cover. And the ridiculous part is.....when it breaks...there's NO way to open the cover manually, so you can't even use your pool !!!
the closest service center is in Indiana (we live in KY )....and yep, we pay them travel time !
I would not advise ANYONE to purchase a Coverstar !!!
eastcoast

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby eastcoast » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 11:01

jimsbiz wrote:BCGreene1 you da man! There are an abundance of appropriate ropes available through West Marine here in the Seattle area, but you may have a monopoly on the "How to" install the new rope. I can't find any info on how to attach the rope to the cover. Wouls you please share your findings about how to attach the new rope? I am particularly interested in the tabs you have made.

Can you please tell me exactly what the rope is called? I would like to order some. You wouldnt' believe my story ----the eastcoast coverstar rep came out to look at our cover which was jammed, snipped the rope with scissors then told us it will cost $800 to replace!
klewando

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby klewando » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 18:50

i also am having problems with my coverstar cover. i have broke three ropes in less than a year.

are there any honest and fair service people in south chicagoland?

does anybody know where to buy the dacron rope and what the actual dimensions are? thanks!
CoverGuyIndy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool cover service in central Indiana

Postby CoverGuyIndy » Sun 11 Jul, 2010 14:16

If you own an automatic pool cover, you are already aware of the need for regular maintenance. My small company has over 15 yrs of experience installing and repairing pool covers.

Some of our most common calls for repairs are:
Broken ropes, wheels/sliders.
Motors and key switches including hydraulic units.
Misalignment or cover system needs adjusted.
Cover cleaning and annual preventive maintenance.

We also install factory replacement covers that are ASTM certified.

Above all else we CAN save you money today. Other companies charge over $400 just to pull into your driveway, without ever performing a single repair. And sometime take 2-3 weeks or longer just to get you on their schedule. We can typically get your system repaired in 48hrs or less. We are a local company and can provide service to Indianapolis and surrounding areas.

We also never require a credit card just to schedule a service appointment. Our typical service call costs 1/2 what other companies charge. All of our service is backed up with a 1 year workmanship warranty. If you are not happy with the services we provide, you do not have to pay. No questions asked. That's how confident I am that we can provide a solution to companies just wanting to keep leeching their customers. We are licensed and insured.
coverstar employee

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby coverstar employee » Sat 24 Jul, 2010 19:50

I am a coverstar east coast employee and have been for 3 years now. I will admit that coverstar has been having rope issues and its is unfortunate but out of the thousands of coverstar covers it is actually a small percentage of people that have this problem. That having been said I will tell everyone that technicians and managers of the coverstar distributors have been on the factory about finding a more reliable rope because it is costing everyone a lot of money. (trust me coverstar east coast has lost money over this also)

within a year of installation coverstar east coast would absolutely warranty broken ropes.

mice do occasionally eat the rope and make nests inside the boxes where the cover rolls up moth balls will avoid this problem.

NEVER operate your cover with water on it this will damage the rope and coverstar will not warranty it...its very easy to tell if the cover was operated with water on it so please dont lie its basically stealing from us.

telling someone to just hold the switch until both sides hit even is RETARTED! you will break your rope that way and the tech who said that should be fired! the ropes simply need a slight adjustment when askew and it will work fine.

most coverstar areas cover several states with minimal manpower to get to the jobs resulting in slightly longer wait times and higher expense for our travel, hourly wages etc... I usually work about 65-70 hrs per week with the weekends off to keep up. (hiring more employees, or making more areas would cost more money so dont suggest it.)

Im sorry to all of you that have had problems but honestly you should look up the other pool covers and see the problems they have its alot worse ... I know i service every kind and see this everyday.

last but not least try and think when complaining about prices that a pool cover is pure luxury do you complain about how much it costs to service your beamers, Bentleys, Ferrari's, Masarati's ? No well maybe but you accept it because it is a luxury vehicle!
jcpacres

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby jcpacres » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 22:50

Regarding the following post from a "coverstar" employee: The entire post was informative and had merit until the end where this person says that a pool cover is pure luxury and compares it with servicing "our luxury cars." That is ludicrous. Having a pool is admittedly a luxury, but having a pool cover to potentially save a young child's life, save money on chemicals, heating, and cleaning is an INVESTMENT. When you invest, in our case, $10K extra to have an automatic cover for these reasons, and the stupid thing breaks, and breaks, AND BREAKS and costs hundreds of dollars everytimg those stupid ropes decide to snap, that is a problem that this company is putting out an inferior product. Maybe other companies are just as bad, I don't know, I only have a coverstar cover. Looking at the mechanics of the system and in our high tech world, certainly some company can come up with some sort of pulley system that doesn't use COTTON ROPES that break with such frequency????? Oh well, most people aren't a pool expert when they have their first pool put in, next time I'll know to do research.

The post I reference:

Anonymous wrote:I am a coverstar east coast employee and have been for 3 years now. I will admit that coverstar has been having rope issues and its is unfortunate but out of the thousands of coverstar covers it is actually a small percentage of people that have this problem. That having been said I will tell everyone that technicians and managers of the coverstar distributors have been on the factory about finding a more reliable rope because it is costing everyone a lot of money. (trust me coverstar east coast has lost money over this also)

within a year of installation coverstar east coast would absolutely warranty broken ropes.

mice do occasionally eat the rope and make nests inside the boxes where the cover rolls up moth balls will avoid this problem.

NEVER operate your cover with water on it this will damage the rope and coverstar will not warranty it...its very easy to tell if the cover was operated with water on it so please dont lie its basically stealing from us.

telling someone to just hold the switch until both sides hit even is RETARTED! you will break your rope that way and the tech who said that should be fired! the ropes simply need a slight adjustment when askew and it will work fine.

most coverstar areas cover several states with minimal manpower to get to the jobs resulting in slightly longer wait times and higher expense for our travel, hourly wages etc... I usually work about 65-70 hrs per week with the weekends off to keep up. (hiring more employees, or making more areas would cost more money so dont suggest it.)

Im sorry to all of you that have had problems but honestly you should look up the other pool covers and see the problems they have its alot worse ... I know i service every kind and see this everyday.

last but not least try and think when complaining about prices that a pool cover is pure luxury do you complain about how much it costs to service your beamers, Bentleys, Ferrari's, Masarati's ? No well maybe but you accept it because it is a luxury vehicle!
beckyhart25

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby beckyhart25 » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 21:13

It is dissappointing that the only posts I see have to do with slamming Coverstar. I had a cover manufactured by Automatic Pool Covers from Indiana, and the fabric left coloring all over my deck in the first year. On my friend's poo,l her cover actually started to close on its own. We have replaced both with Coverstar systems and they work fine. There is a coverpools cover in her neighorhood that has had the rope replaced a few times as well, so I a not sure why these postings are so slanted toward one manufacturer. They all have ropes, and it seems that the service companies are the ones not taking care of you. We have experienced great service from our guys. I believe it is important to have it serviced every year. Maybe that will help. I would not have a pool without this cover, and after my experience with Coverstar, I really believe they are the best. I even called the president of Coverstar in Utah before making my purchase. His name was Doug; and he was very reassurring. He did not bash the others as I would have expected; just straight forward professionalism.

Rebecca
pool fence

pool fence not right

Postby pool fence » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 01:44

Joe Kohaut wrote:I will let everyone I know and spread this news about this poorly designed product and poorly run company that does not stand behind their product. These ropes are a design flaw and they will not stand behind their product. If I can prevent 1 person from getting a pool cover installed by Performance pools of Minnesota and/or Coverstar, I will be a little relieved. My ain is to prevent at least 10 people from amking that mistake.

Any problems with fences installed by the pool company? We know of them putting in fence in a way that is not consistent with the manufacturer's specifications. Worst part is that they are unaccountable and want to try to make it about something else. Footings are supposed to go 42" below grade in MN/WI, but they put them in about 12-18" deep and then keep repeating that the fence is installed correctly. Unbelievable. Would never recommend.

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Guest » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 16:58

Well I just had the rope replaced on one side, and one slider. I was charged $68.00 for the slider, plus labor :shock: ! Unbelievable. How can some small piece cost this much? It's not going on the Space Shuttle. And $159.97 for 125 feet of rope. If it happens again I am going to McGyver something else to open and close the pool.
CoverGuyIndy
I'm new here
I'm new here

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby CoverGuyIndy » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 18:34

Pool User wrote:Well I just had the rope replaced on one side, and one slider. I was charged $68.00 for the slider, plus labor :shock: ! Unbelievable. How can some small piece cost this much? It's not going on the Space Shuttle. And $159.97 for 125 feet of rope. If it happens again I am going to McGyver something else to open and close the pool.

It doesn't cost that much to produce. From your post I would venture to say you have a Coverstar underguide system. And your final bill (if only one rope and slider were replaced) was a little over $500.

If you live within central Indiana I can do this job for $150 + a reasonable travel charge to where ever you are located using kevlar braided ropes that are guaranteed for 3 years :D . I also install replacement covers as well as other common repair or service issues.

If you own an automatic pool cover, you are already aware of the need for regular maintenance. My small company has over 15 yrs of experience installing and repairing pool covers.

Some of our most common calls for repairs are:
Broken ropes, wheels/sliders.
Motors and key switches including hydraulic units.
Misalignment or cover system needs adjusted.
Cover cleaning and annual preventive maintenance.

We also install factory replacement covers that are ASTM certified.

Above all else we CAN save you money today. Other companies charge over $400 just to pull into your driveway, without ever performing a single repair. And sometime take 2-3 weeks or longer just to get you on their schedule. We can typically get your system repaired in 48hrs or less.

We also never require a credit card just to schedule a service appointment. Our typical service call costs 1/2 what other companies charge. All of our service is backed up with a 1 year workmanship warranty. No questions asked. We are licensed and insured.

Call me Robert and we can take care of any issue you may be having.

That is the advertisement I have been running this year. So far this year I have over 170 satisfied customers. We talk to you honestly and straight forward. Simply put, we do whatever it takes to fix your issue and save you money.
Coverstar owner

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby Coverstar owner » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 00:17

I have a Coverstar Poolcover system and have never had a problem. I was given an instruct on how to operate and maintain the entire system, that must be the difference. Keeping the drain clean and clear in the vault where the cover rolls up is common sense, there is electricity there and water does not mix well with electricity. Also, ropes that pull the cover are powered by an electrical motor, if the switch is turned the wrong way or if someone tries to operate the cover in the dark, seems to me that the ropes would be easy to break. A little maintenance goes a long way, how cliche? Good luck people, oh by the way your car needs maintenance too, Sorry!
broth28
I'm new here
I'm new here

COVERSTAR pool cover

Postby broth28 » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 13:48

Coverguyindy can you please get in contact with you?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”