Cloudy light light blue water. easy to asnwer i swear

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
forboon
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55000 i think...medium anyway.

sand filter

chlorine

15 years old maybe

Postby forboon » Mon 18 May, 2009 16:41

i just opened the pool myself, it was really green i added a bottle of algecide and 3 cups shock

followed by 3 more cups shock, half a day later, and another 3 half a day later (micro shock).

I wanted to wait till it was clear to take a sample to the poolstore...but its still very milky although the water is blueish now.

the ph is high, the total alkalinity is perfect, the stabilizer is low, the free chlorine is zero.

im thinking that i need to put some pucks in the chlorinator and skimmer with a bunch of shock in the pool. the pucks will add stabilizer no?

can i put too much shock in a pool, im thinking of putting 20 cups in or like 1/3 or 1/2 of the bucket. mixed in a garbage can full of water.

otherwise ill just take a sample in but i just don't want them to tell me to shock it harder and come back in three days.

bones!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 18 May, 2009 21:30

The shock was probably chlorine and would kill algae, but the alagecide isn't usually good at killing algae -- it's much better at preventing algae. That is, unless it has copper in it, but then it can lead to staining. Chlorine alone can clear a pool (see here). Read Defeating Algae and get your own good test kit.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”