What does this piece of equipment do?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Crimson
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Crimson » Thu 21 May, 2009 15:31

Hello all,

New pool owner here.. purchase a house with a pool and don't have the manuals for the equipment. Been able to find them for the filter and chlorine puck thingy.. :) But there is what looks to be a shutoff valve right before where water enters the pump.. it has 2 pipes going into it (I assume from the skimmer and from the main drain), and has the following markings on it:

R90 L90
180 R90
180 L90

It appears to be set on R90 L90 right now, which I assume that means its draws from both sides equally. The other 2 settings I assume would divert 100% of the return flow to the main drain or skimmer instead of both? There is also an off setting which I assume shuts off all return water from the pool? This device does say 'pentair' on it which is the same as my filter brand.

Crimson
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Crimson » Thu 21 May, 2009 15:33

Oops just realized there may have been a better forum for this.. mods please move if appropriate.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Fri 22 May, 2009 02:04

Crimson wrote:Hello all,

New pool owner here.. purchase a house with a pool and don't have the manuals for the equipment. Been able to find them for the filter and chlorine puck thingy.. :) But there is what looks to be a shutoff valve right before where water enters the pump.. it has 2 pipes going into it (I assume from the skimmer and from the main drain), and has the following markings on it:

R90 L90
180 R90
180 L90

It appears to be set on R90 L90 right now, which I assume that means its draws from both sides equally. The other 2 settings I assume would divert 100% of the return flow to the main drain or skimmer instead of both? There is also an off setting which I assume shuts off all return water from the pool? This device does say 'pentair' on it which is the same as my filter brand.

Hi,

If you don't have a spa with the pool then you're probably right about the valve. A valve in front of the pump controls where the water is pulled from. When you vacuum you want all the water being pulled from the skimmer. Easy to check it out by turning the handle.

If you think it might be something else or want more info on it, post a pic if you can.

Good luck.
johnpeter
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby johnpeter » Sat 23 May, 2009 03:43

It appears to be set on R90 L90 right now, which I assume that means its draws from both sides equally. The other 2 settings I assume would divert 100% of the return flow to the main drain or skimmer instead of both? There is also an off setting which I assume shuts off all return water from the pool? This device does say 'pentair' on it which is the same as my filter brand..
______________________________________________________________________________________
www.floatingtank.at
Horse Breeders

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”