Starting BBB methog, please HELP.

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
astroprojector
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby astroprojector » Thu 21 May, 2009 16:28

Hi There.

This is my first post. I have never own the pool before and have some questions about the upkeep. The house that I recently purchased has a kidney shaped pool.

The pool was not covered during the fall and winter. During that time we have several fires in the area and strong Santa Anna winds that blew the dust and ash in to the pool. The pool had the Polaris cleaning vacuum, but it would not pickup the ash and dust so I unplugged it and bought Barracuda 4 system that sweeps the floor pretty good. I already cleaned the filter once and the current filter pressure is about 12 PSI. The filter runs 8 hrs everyday from 8am to 4pm. The previous owner had some leftover chemicals, so I was adding chlorine every couple of days. It seems that everything was OK. About a month ago I notice green algae growing on the left side wall by the steps. I shocked the pool several times and scrubbed the walls with the brush, but after several days the algae would comeback. Recently the leftover chemicals ran out and I had to buy more. Not reading the information on the web, I went to the Home Depot and purchased two buckets of Chlorine (the powder and tablets). I was shocked, surprised and amazed that two buckets of chlorine would cost me over $160. Luckily I did not opened the buckets yet. I have the test kit that can measure pH, Chlorine, TA, Bromine. In order to know how much chemicals to add I need to know the water volume of the pool.

First question, is how to calculate the volume of the kidney shaped pools? My guesstimate is 13,000 to 15,000 gal, but I am not sure.

Second question, how would I begin the BBB method? Obviously I would need to buy the Liquid Bleach, baking soda and Borax, but beyond that what are the correct workflow?

Please let me know if this is correct workflow.
1. Test the Chlorine. Not sure if my test kit allows me to test Total Chlorine and Free Chlorine separately. I think the steps are to get the first measure and then wait couple minutes to get the second measure, the change in color supposed to tell me. What if there is too much chlorine.
2. Test pH.
3. If pH is above 8ppm, reduce it to between 7.2 and 7.8. If it is below 7.2 increase by using the Baking Soda.
4. Once pH is correct, add the Borax to stabilize pH. How much of Borax do I need to add?
5. Test TA. The measurement should not exceed 180ppm. I think baking soda also increases TA.

This is as far as I know.

I will post my current reading later today.

You suggestions are greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post.

astroprojector
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby astroprojector » Thu 21 May, 2009 18:56

Here are my water test results.

My Free Chlorine is approximatly 0ppm but my test gauge says that ideal result is between 0 and 0.5 ppm.
The Total Chlorine is 5.0. It says that is TC > FC, then I need to shock the water.
The pH is 7.6ppm
The TA is 300ppm.

So, how do I shock the water and reduce the TA? Also how do I maintain the FC and pH?

Thanks
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 21 May, 2009 21:34

Read the Pool School especially the sections on "Defeating Algae" and "Test Kits Compared" since you should get a better test kit. You didn't post the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level which is critically important to know since that determines the shock level of chlorine you need to attain and whether you should do a partial drain/refill to lower the CYA.
astroprojector
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby astroprojector » Fri 22 May, 2009 09:17

I am going to get the Leslie's kit since I can get it on the short notice. I guess the worst case scenario is to partially drain the pool.

Is there any other way to reduce TA?

Also how does the CYA determines the amount of shock needed?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 22 May, 2009 13:08

See Lowering Total Alkalinity and Shocking Your Pool and either the Chlorine / CYA Chart or use The Pool Calculator to figure out the shock level.

If the CYA is very high, especially above 80 ppm, then it may be better to dilute the water by partial drain/refill first so you won't need as much chlorine (and you'd need to dilute to lower the CYA eventually anyway).
aquamom
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
TF-100 Test Kit
BBB User- Salt Added

Postby aquamom » Mon 25 May, 2009 06:48

Chemgeek gave you all awesome advice. Read the pool school a couple of times and then also print out the Chlorine/CYA chart (I have a folder just for all my pool stuff/notes).

pH can drift up in some pools over time. You might want to get some liquid muratic acid to keep on hand to lower it, if need be.

If you can get the T100 test kit. You will be better equipped to fully test your water. It is the best kit I have found for the $$$.

I use the walmart ultra bleach in our pool and I have read that it can make the pH drift up that the clorox ultra bleach is better. Or if you can buy the 12% liquid chlorine is good too.

Good luck :)

Return to “BBB Pool Care”