Help - dirty water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
kmgt3232

Help - dirty water

Postby kmgt3232 » Thu 21 May, 2009 18:31

Help, I have no idea what's going on with our pool. Our water is so dirty. I was trying to sweep it tonight (we just had it opened a few days ago, but they didn't sweep it). There was a lot of dirt and leaves on the bottom. For some reason it didn't seem like it was working so I unhooked the sweeper and sure enough, there was no suction.

I tried to do a backwas to get things going again and the water is SO dirty. I ran it for quite a while trying to get that dirty water out of there. When I went to put it back on filter, the little spout thingy that pumps the water back in was putting dirty water back in the pool!

I don't know what to do. It's so gross I can't even see the bottom.

Help, I'm really new to pools. We just bought this house last August so we are still learning.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Help - dirty water

Postby Denali » Thu 21 May, 2009 20:08

kmgt3232 wrote:Help, I have no idea what's going on with our pool. Our water is so dirty. I was trying to sweep it tonight (we just had it opened a few days ago, but they didn't sweep it). There was a lot of dirt and leaves on the bottom. For some reason it didn't seem like it was working so I unhooked the sweeper and sure enough, there was no suction.

I tried to do a backwas to get things going again and the water is SO dirty. I ran it for quite a while trying to get that dirty water out of there. When I went to put it back on filter, the little spout thingy that pumps the water back in was putting dirty water back in the pool!

I don't know what to do. It's so gross I can't even see the bottom.

Help, I'm really new to pools. We just bought this house last August so we are still learning.

Hi,

First step is to let us know more about your pool. In ground? What type of filter etc? If you can take pics of the pool and the equipment then it will be easier to know what is going on. Also a complete water testing will help. If you don't know how to do that a local pool store can do it for you.
kmgt3232

Help - dirty water

Postby kmgt3232 » Fri 22 May, 2009 13:33

Sorry, I entered all that when I registered so figured you could all see it.

It's 27' round, above ground. I'm pretty sure it's a sand filter (shows you how much I know) but that's what the guy at the pool store "thought he remembered us having". We have a big propane tank looking cylinder and the pump (and heater) hooked up.

The day after it was opened I added Algecide because it was green and cloudy. So, could the "dirt" on the bottom be dead algae? It looks like sand.

At the time it was opened, we had a Frog installed. Just by using the test strips, it appears everythings ok chemical wise. But we haven't had a thourough test done yet.

After at bit more research I went back out today and "vaccuumed to waste". Yesterday I was vacuuming through the filter. I think things need to settle a bit again before I can see how good it did.

Should I add anything else? Shock it again? What's a clarifyer?

Thanks!
johnpeter
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help - dirty water

Postby johnpeter » Sat 23 May, 2009 03:42

tried to do a backwas to get things going again and the water is SO dirty. I ran it for quite a while trying to get that dirty water out of there. When I went to put it back on filter, the little spout thingy that pumps the water back in was putting dirty water back in the pool!
_______________________________________________________________________________________
www.floatingtank.at
Horse Breeders
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Help - dirty water

Postby Denali » Sat 23 May, 2009 11:50

kmgt3232 wrote:Sorry, I entered all that when I registered so figured you could all see it.

It's 27' round, above ground. I'm pretty sure it's a sand filter (shows you how much I know) but that's what the guy at the pool store "thought he remembered us having". We have a big propane tank looking cylinder and the pump (and heater) hooked up.

The day after it was opened I added Algecide because it was green and cloudy. So, could the "dirt" on the bottom be dead algae? It looks like sand.

At the time it was opened, we had a Frog installed. Just by using the test strips, it appears everythings ok chemical wise. But we haven't had a thourough test done yet.

After at bit more research I went back out today and "vaccuumed to waste". Yesterday I was vacuuming through the filter. I think things need to settle a bit again before I can see how good it did.

Should I add anything else? Shock it again? What's a clarifyer?

Thanks!

Hi,

It could be dead algae or sand or both. After backwashing your sand filter you want to set the valve to rinse. Always turn off the equipment before moving the valve to another setting. Set to rinse and run for 30 seconds to a minute and then turn it off and reset to filter.

I have no experience with the "frog" and only know what I have read on the internet about it. Most of what I have read has been negative but perhaps your experience with it will be different.

Test strips will give you a ball park idea of your chemical balance but a full testing with a good test kit is what you want to be able to do. If the algae is dead then you don't need to shock again. If the water is still cloudy then likely the algae isn't dead or needs to be filtered out.

A clarifier is often used for a cloudy pool. Basically it clumps together small particles in the water into larger clumps that the filter can then remove. If the filter is no longer putting dirt back into the pool then run it until the pool clears.

I would get the full test of chemical balance done so you'll have a better idea of what needs doing.
kmgt3232

Help - dirty water

Postby kmgt3232 » Sat 23 May, 2009 14:33

Thank you!

What bad things have you heard about the frog? I'm curious. Everyone at our pool store (not just employees) was raving about it and I figured it was easier than using those pucks that I kept forgeting to put in.

I went to the pool store today and had a water test done. Unfortunately their printer wasn't working so I don't have a print out. However, they did say it all looked ok. The Chlorine was high (9.9) because I had shocked it (yesterday). So, with the chlorine staying high, the guy guessed that the algae was no longer alive.

I did take some fill water in and we have copper and iron (no surprise, we live in the country with a well) so he told me to use sequasol (GLB's stuff) and give it a good dose and then use it regularly. And, I got a clarifier (clear blue) to use too. I put those in, when I got home so now I'm just waiting to see what it does.

I did order the Taylor K 2000 or whatever that is you all recommend. So, when that gets here I'll have some more accurate reading.

Thanks again,
Kathy
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Help - dirty water

Postby Denali » Sat 23 May, 2009 20:58

Hi Kathy,

Here are a few things I've heard about the "frog." It adds minerals to the pool. Sounds fine except one of things it adds is copper. Copper works well as an algeacide but can cause staining in the pool. If your water is already high in copper, adding more is likely to cause problems.

The cost of the cartridges is quite high for what is being added to your pool. I understand the chlorine part of this system is trichlor. Trichlor adds chlorine but also increases CYA levels. This is cyanuric acid and this level is very important in a pool. As this level goes up more chlorine is needed to handle the pool. At high CYA levels, you'll test and see a good FChlorine level but have a cloudy pool.

As long as you know what the levels are of CYA you can adjust chlorine levels and all is well. I hate to be negative especially about something I've never used. For me, I like to keep it simple. I use liquid chlorine and a floating feeder with trichlor tabs. It works well for me but I know I have to watch the CYA level as the trichlor pushes it up.

So, for you, I would keep an eye on copper and CYA levels. As you already have the system you can decide if you like it or not but also being aware of what to keep an eye out for.

Good luck with it.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”