Flocing

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
disgusted pool owner

Flocing

Postby disgusted pool owner » Fri 22 May, 2009 18:58

Allright my pool is aprox. 18,000 gallons in ground gunite built in 60's plaster looks like the moon and trying to do cleanup. Stopped maintenance end of summer last year and is a green slimy pond. Wed I balanced ph to 7.5(verified thurs morning) thurs morning added appox 7 gallons 6% bleach and 32 oz floc. checked clorine thursday and o reading.Is this because the algae is so bad? Now it is friday and I have green clumps of algae floating at top. Supposed to sink I thought. Should I skim and re-shock and re-floc or drain and fill which I am not crazy about.Please help?????????????????????????
Chuck :cry:

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Flocing

Postby chem geek » Fri 22 May, 2009 20:17

Flocking

Postby Guest » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 13:37

Chuck - have you had any luck since you posted on May 22?
I am investigating the flock myself. Bought the store liquid kind which said 1 bottle was enough for my 40,000 inground vinyl liner pool and it did nothing after 24 hours. Still green pea soup.

I understand for flock to work properly the PH should be 7.8 or higher. Then after flock, vacuum to waste and bring PH back down.

One thing I just recently learned is Phosphates feed algae.
You have to specifically ask for the store to test for phosphates in some cases - number should be 0.
I had a 200 phosphate reading and added a 1/4 bottle pf Phosfree but it may not have helped because after the fact i found out the PH has to be low for the PhosFree to work.

So I would imagine the right thing to do is
Bring PH up,
FLOCK,
bring PH back down
Phosfree

Let me know what's going on with yours.
skinsfan44
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 Inground, vinyl liner, approx 27,000 gallons
Hayward DE filter, 1.5 HP pump

Flocing

Postby skinsfan44 » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 10:09

I am investigating the flock myself. Bought the store liquid kind which said 1 bottle was enough for my 40,000 inground vinyl liner pool and it did nothing after 24 hours. Still green pea soup.

I am new around here, and certainly not an expert, but I wouldn't expect the floc to clear up your green pool. You need to get rid of the algea first, then use the floc. I think floc is more for bunching/make sink all the tiny particles that give you a cloudly looking pool.

Once you have the algea beat, if your pool looks cloudy, floc, then vacum and filter.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Flocing

Postby Denali » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 19:41

skinsfan44 wrote:

I am new around here, and certainly not an expert, but I wouldn't expect the floc to clear up your green pool. You need to get rid of the algea first, then use the floc. I think floc is more for bunching/make sink all the tiny particles that give you a cloudly looking pool.

Once you have the algea beat, if your pool looks cloudy, floc, then vacum and filter.

This is the right info. Kill the algae first. For previous poster, 1 gallon of chlorine in 40,000 gal. isn't going to get it done. You do need to know your CYA level to know how high you want to put your chlorine level.
clean and clear

Flocing

Postby clean and clear » Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:23

for the past three years our pool woulndt start. so i tried something new..... try this out all together i only hade to spend about $150 to get it clean and clear. I first scooped out as much of the junk as i could using a leaf net then try to vacum up some more off the bottom by using a exteral pump ( for this i used my pool pump with out the sand part of the pump). ----- you will need to have a hose running the whole time because you will lose water fast. you are going to just pump it out on the ground and it doesnt need to be a perfect job, but do try to touch every bit of the bottom. now you will want to hook in the sand part of your filter and get it running. back wash rinse then turn on pump to filter. i have to back wash and rinse when my filter gets to 16-17 it drops to 12 when i am done back washing and rinsing.then added 4 12lb bags of baking soda (found at walmart) i stir that in an wait till next day. then add 4 of those big jugs of bleach i got mine at dollar general put on your solar cover and let sit till next day if still green add some more bleach. but keep your solar cover on to keep bleach in pool this will shock the pool. if water looks clear you will want to scrub down the walls and floor of pool. having the solar cover off lets the sun suck up the bleach so you may again need to add more after scrubing Check to see what your chlorine level is during cleaning mine stayed really high. and i kept it there till after my scrub and last vacuming. if your pool is clear you want to have two of those floating dispensers one you put your cholrine tablets and the other you put arm & hammer tablets. hope this helps you out.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”