Problems with zeobrite or zeobest

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 05 Dec, 2012 02:49

Hi ThaiJack,

Well, if we go on the assumption, here are your options;

If Phosphates are present
There are swimming pool chemical treatments called Phosphate Removers that will reduce Phosphates. This will require several doses to bring the level down to 0 ppb (parts per billion)

(Fertilizer) Nitrogens
The worst sort of chemical to get into swimming pools. There does not exist any chemical remover, a complete pool draining and refill with clean water is required.

Unfortunately, a pool drain will put you back into the hard water problem if you re-use the ground water, but for the sake of achieving water clarity, it is the lesser of the three evils to choose from in this scenario.

garymbos

Postby garymbos » Thu 16 May, 2013 13:34

Opened my pool two weeks ago. The zeobrite was put in July 2011. I live in Minnesota so the pool is only running May-Oct. I had algae problems and had to backwash frequently. After about two hours the pressure kept building in the filter. So I followed Zeobrites instruction about treating the media with a salt solution. No change. Then I tried letting it soak with filter cleaner for 48 hours. Still no change. Then I opened the filter one last time to replace the Zeobrite with sand. The zeobrite was rock hard in many places. I also put Zeo in the filter in 2009. My pool is nearly clear now after three days of using regular sand. I will never used Zeobrite again.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”