Heater Problem

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
captainron19
I'm new here
I'm new here

Heater Problem

Postby captainron19 » Mon 25 May, 2009 20:58

OK I have had nothing but problems ever since I first got my Hayward H Series Gas Heater. Last year was the first full year to have the heater and it would not turn on at all. The service rep for Hayward looked at it and trouble shot and had to order a part that of course was on back order. After it was all said and done the heater needed a new control panel board and it did not get back up and running until August (end) so we barely used the heater.

Now I opened my pool this weekend and the heater will not fire. It starts to run, the heater light comes on for a second and then it shuts down. After a repeated attempt automatically the same happens and then it shows a IF error (Ignition failure)

I checked and have a gas flow, I have adequate pressure coming from the pool pump, and the burners all look pretty clear as far as I could see and I even got me shop vac and made sure there were no spider webs in place.

A friend of mine is an electrician and he came over to look and hooked the electrical connections up to his meter and he said there is 240V of electricity going to the transformer but the wire going from the transformer to the electric pilot is barely 1 Volt of electricity. I am not sure how much should be going to the pilot

I would appreciate any feedback on what I can try next. I emailed Hayward and told them of my displeasure of nothing but problems with this heater and that I think it should be replaced by them (I wont hold my breath)

Aquaclear-NZ
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: ingound, 50,000L, gas heated, low energy pump and cartridge filter

Heater Problem

Postby Aquaclear-NZ » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 01:14

most of the gas stuff requires 24V, and the valve is commondly earthed to the chassis
ignition and signal to the valve is sent via the elctronic assembly, not the transformer
best get a gas fitter or authorised service agent to look at it
JNick

Heater Problem

Postby JNick » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:03

Same problem with H250 purchased last year.
I think you have the same problem. Try this (Hayward temp fix). The blower cover on the right side of the blower has holes in it. Cover up half the holes with tape and see if the heater lights and stays lit. If it does you have to replace the flame sensor with the new type. According to Hayward you can operate the heater with the tape in place with no damage. This is a manufacturers defect. My new flame sensor and installation will be free of charge.
captainron19
I'm new here
I'm new here

Heater Problem

Postby captainron19 » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:18

Thanks for the help I did find the problem. I removed the small copper jet tubes from the gas pipe and 3 of the 5 were completely blocked by spider webs. Actually they were little cocoons with dried up bugs in em. At first when looking at them they were so dense that they looked like someone shot white caulk into the holes.

once I cleaned em out the heater fired up just fine
Jared

Heater Problem

Postby Jared » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 18:25

JNick, Thanks
Just like to say the trick to cover half the intake area worked for the "IF" error code failed to start on my heater as well.
Valeyard

Heater Problem

Postby Valeyard » Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:23

I'm having the same problem, heater won't ignite. I unscrewed and opened the small access panel for the igniter and then it lights up no problem. If I screw the panel back on, won't ignite again. I don't really understand this behavior...
hotboy382

Heater Problem

Postby hotboy382 » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 08:45

Valeyard wrote:I'm having the same problem, heater won't ignite. I unscrewed and opened the small access panel for the igniter and then it lights up no problem. If I screw the panel back on, won't ignite again. I don't really understand this behavior...

thats the factory defect, i just instaled the tape fix., covered four rows from the bottom and works like a charm. i used aluminum tape just to be safe. taking the panel to the igniter reduces the pressure is why it works like that. Replace the cover and apply the tape in the manner explained and you will fire right up. hope this helps, i got the answer on here, just re-inforcing the fix is dead on. No codes now. im gonna contact hayward and hopefully they will honer their warranty and send the proper part out before 2011. ill hold my breath, Under 90deg water lol. hope this helps
jheiss

Heater Problem

Postby jheiss » Wed 11 May, 2011 18:03

I had the same problem with my 5 year old H250. I installed a new flame sensor and the heater fired right up.
Bobby R

Heater Problem

Postby Bobby R » Thu 04 Aug, 2011 15:25

Hi, I had the exact same problem, I added the tape and it works. Here is the problem. I have the new blower. Installed in 2011, so now I am thinking the blower sensor may be too sensitive or the tube the connects to the sensor my have an issue.

I am using the tape method now, but thinking there may be a real issue any ideas.
Smitty

Heater Problem

Postby Smitty » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 08:44

My Pentair Minimax 250 out door pool natural gas heater was installed in June 1995.
It has been serviced each spring by the technician who installed it.
We have had repeated starting problems when it is damp or wet outside.
It will only ignite late morning after it seems to dry. Steam will rise from the top at first for a minute or two.
This summer we called technician to service the heater because it wouldn't stay lit. Kept turning off and then
on again. Tech said it was water pressure problem...just backwash it. I said, we backwash all the time. The pressure is fine. I called again, the tech came when we weren't home and left a hefty bill. The problem seemed to go away but then started again and EXPLODED when I turned it on!! Hairs on my arm were singed
and the gas company was here in 3 minutes.
Technician came and admitted when he serviced it, he didn't take the burners apart to check for spider webs because it lit fine for him. Now...There were spider webs in 3 of the 5 burner valves.
TECHNICIAN SAID THE SPIDER BUILT THE 3 WEBS IN THE 10 DAYS SINCE HE SERVICED IT.
OMG does he think I am stupid??
I do not want to use this heater and DON'T WANT TO PAY THE HEFTY BILL from the first service.
Do spiders build webs that fast?? Can they cause an EXPLOSION??
Some one tell me I'm not a stupid consumer/customer.
PiPPi

Heater Problem

Postby PiPPi » Sat 26 May, 2012 12:06

captainron19 wrote:Thanks for the help I did find the problem. I removed the small copper jet tubes from the gas pipe and 3 of the 5 were completely blocked by spider webs. Actually they were little cocoons with dried up bugs in em. At first when looking at them they were so dense that they looked like someone shot white caulk into the holes.

Yep, that's the ticket!
lorac

Heater Problem

Postby lorac » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 13:57

captainron19 wrote:Thanks for the help I did find the problem. I removed the small copper jet tubes from the gas pipe and 3 of the 5 were completely blocked by spider webs. Actually they were little cocoons with dried up bugs in em. At first when looking at them they were so dense that they looked like someone shot white caulk into the holes.

jeff160

Heater Problem

Postby jeff160 » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 20:14

I have a Hayward H250 that's about 7 years old. Having the same issue as described here where the blower turns on/off every 30 seconds to a minute. There is heat coming out the exhaust on top, but the blower keeps turning on/off. For the people who posted about covering holes with tape, what exact holes are you referring to? Do you mean the vent holes? And if so which ones? The ones on the opposite side of the water inlet/outlet & how many? Can we post pictures or videos here?

Heater Problem

Postby Guest » Sat 15 Sep, 2012 12:24

Yes spiders can build web's that fast. Haven't you ever seen a spider build a web 100 times bigger and within a day?
Tim k

Heater Problem

Postby Tim k » Fri 05 Apr, 2013 16:47

I have the same problem. If code I covered it half with tape and still does not work. I have only 13 hours on this unit. It did the same thing when I first put it in. I payed a pool man to come and fix it and he charged me 75 dollar for this great fix. It still does not work. I email Hayward one week ago still no reply. That Hayward for you, take your money and run. This should have been a recall , we do live in the computer age. They know who buys there produces.

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”