Gnats or something in pool surface water

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Rubber Duck
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' x 48" above ground pool Hayward sand filter system

Postby Rubber Duck » Wed 27 May, 2009 16:02

We've had our pool open for two weeks now, and the water is crystal clear. I got in it yesterday and it was great!
This morning I put the filter system on, so I could shock it. I shock the pool once a week, and this morning there was millions of little black gnats or something in the water. There was so many that there were spots of floating black on the water surface. I tried scooping them out with the leaf net, but discovered that they are so small they went right through it. This afternoon I checked and much of the filter system must of have gotten them. But there were still some left.

I took a wire coat hanger and shaped it out to a circle and placed a pantyhose on it which was getting more of them. If I remember, we had this last year, but I can't remember for how long. We've been getting lots of rain and thunderstorms in the late afternoon to evening, and Im wondering if this has something to do with it.

shutterbug48

Postby shutterbug48 » Thu 28 May, 2009 18:14

I'm glad I found this website. I too have gnats constantly. I did a google search & most people spray a solution of dawn/water around the edges of their pool.
I personally wouldn't do it. makes the pool edges slippery.

I haven't found a true answer. However, I do love the answer of how you are skimming them out. The nets on the market aren't tiny enough holes...I will most definately try your approach. I have no problems getting in & using a pantyhose contraption. Hope you find a solution. Thanks for the tip.
Rubber Duck
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' x 48" above ground pool Hayward sand filter system

Postby Rubber Duck » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 14:33

I only had the gnats like that just once and since then not a problem. I will have a few here and there, but nothing major. I think they were just migrating, and deciding to take a short trip to my pool.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”