D.e. Filters

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ben
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: DE Hayward filter

D.e. Filters

Postby ben » Wed 27 May, 2009 19:29

I have an inground pool (18 x 36) with D.E. filter pump. The pool was opened last weekend. I am unable to backwash--- even with the backwash valve open, water does not come out hru the open valve; rather, water stills flows back into the pool. I am also unabel to use the pump for long period because water stops coming out. I am in trouble.

WHAT GIVES???? HELP![/i][/b]

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

D.e. Filters

Postby Denali » Wed 27 May, 2009 23:25

ben wrote:I have an inground pool (18 x 36) with D.E. filter pump. The pool was opened last weekend. I am unable to backwash--- even with the backwash valve open, water does not come out hru the open valve; rather, water stills flows back into the pool. I am also unabel to use the pump for long period because water stops coming out. I am in trouble.

WHAT GIVES???? HELP![/i][/b]

Hi,

If the valve is set to BW and the water returns to the pool the problem is in the valve. Is this a multiport valve? If so it may be the spider gasket is broken or missing.

When you say the water stops coming out is this when set to filter? Does the pressure go up or down on the filter pressure gauge?
ben
I'm new here
I'm new here

D.e. Filters

Postby ben » Thu 28 May, 2009 22:29

I will check the valve tomorrow. I called my pool guy, and he seems to think that somethign is blocking the valve or it may be broken.

Another problem I am experiencing is with the pool is that the skimmer does not draw water in; only the bottom drain does. When the pool first opened, I was able to pour D.E. thru the skimmer; suddenly it stopped drawing water in.

Do you think these problems are all interconnected?

Thanks again!
Ben
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

D.e. Filters

Postby mr_clean » Sun 31 May, 2009 11:18

if your sucking water from main drain but not skimmer look in skimmer and see if you have two hole skimmer or one hole skimmer.

if you have a two hole skimmer, pull your skimmer float out of skimmer & adjust bottom flap to 3/4 open & put back in this should give you great suction as when the flap is completely shut it only allows main drain to work.

if you have one hole skimmer, you should see/feel small pipe which is your diverter valve. Turn this left or right & it allows you to adjust suction between top skimmer & main drain. The diverter valve normally pulls out so you can look at the way it works.

once you have this fixed turn on & off pump & see if problem is still there.
ben
I'm new here
I'm new here

D.e. Filters

Postby ben » Sun 31 May, 2009 19:35

Thanks to y'all.

I checked the BW valve and cleaned it with a screw driver and got some junk out, and now it is working. As for the skimmer--- I didnt wanna venture since the bottom drain works OK, so I havent touched it. I also tried bleeding the filter and put more D.E., and so far so good.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

D.e. Filters

Postby Denali » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 14:42

ben wrote:Thanks to y'all.

I checked the BW valve and cleaned it with a screw driver and got some junk out, and now it is working. As for the skimmer--- I didnt wanna venture since the bottom drain works OK, so I havent touched it. I also tried bleeding the filter and put more D.E., and so far so good.

Hi,

If you want to vacuum you'll need your skimmer working. Just take the skimmer basket out and look at the bottom of the skimmer. Follow MrClean's advice.

In reading what you wrote, you say you put in more DE. How did you do that if the skimmer isn't sucking? Just curious.

D.e. Filters

Postby Guest » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 22:48

That was the problem. It worked off and on, very slow suction for a good few minutes before all stopped again. I thought it was the low water level, but my "pool guy" told me over the phone that he doubted it was the cause. It worked only long enough to put in 3 more pounds of D.E. (I had put in 4 pounds the day before.) I'm hesitant to use it again because it might screw up the entire mechanism I have right now; i.e., the water is circulating using only the bottom drain.

If I shut off the 2 intake valves (leading to the "jacuzzi" leaf basket) and just open the valve coming from the skimmer side, the skimmer still does not work (no suction), even though water is circulating into the pool. Does it mean the water is still coming from the bottom drain? Without seeing it personally, my pool guy is perplexed. Where do you think this problem is? (I'm having more problems daily-- my Dolphin just died on me yesterday!)
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

D.e. Filters

Postby Denali » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 01:00

Pool User wrote:That was the problem. It worked off and on, very slow suction for a good few minutes before all stopped again. I thought it was the low water level, but my "pool guy" told me over the phone that he doubted it was the cause. It worked only long enough to put in 3 more pounds of D.E. (I had put in 4 pounds the day before.) I'm hesitant to use it again because it might screw up the entire mechanism I have right now; i.e., the water is circulating using only the bottom drain.

If I shut off the 2 intake valves (leading to the "jacuzzi" leaf basket) and just open the valve coming from the skimmer side, the skimmer still does not work (no suction), even though water is circulating into the pool. Does it mean the water is still coming from the bottom drain? Without seeing it personally, my pool guy is perplexed. Where do you think this problem is? (I'm having more problems daily-- my Dolphin just died on me yesterday!)

Without seeing your setup or even a drawing of all the suction lines and valves on your pool it is hard to figure.

If water is circulating then there is a suction line open. It sounds like a blockage in the skimmer line. Sometimes when you get something in there it will come lose when the equipment is off so when you turn it on you get suction until the clog moves back to a position where it blocks the line and the suction stops.

Did you check to see if you have a device at the bottom of the skimmer? Looks a bit like a UFO.

If you're able to draw a picture of your plumbing with valves on the suction side it would be easier to troubleshoot.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

D.e. Filters

Postby mr_clean » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 13:36

That was the problem. It worked off and on, very slow suction for a good few minutes before all stopped again. I thought it was the low water level, but my "pool guy" told me over the phone that he doubted it was the cause. It worked only long enough to put in 3 more pounds of D.E. (I had put in 4 pounds the day before.) I'm hesitant to use it again because it might screw up the entire mechanism I have right now; i.e., the water is circulating using only the bottom drain.

if you only control your skimmer & main drain with valves (probably that look like water spickets) & do not have a diverter valve in your 1-hole skimmer you most likely have a clogged skimmer line causing the suction to be low & stop after a few mins like said above.

I would still look inside skimmer for pool for the diverter valve & if you have one turn it left or right while pump is on & see if suction improves. It sounds like you have 2-skimmers? one for spa & one for pool?

if you have no diverter valve then it would be a clog not allowing water to pump pot most likely.
run a test by shutting off main drain & spa skimmer so your only using skimmer for pool.
Do you get water going into pump pot?
if you get some but very little you can take a small plastic bag & let skimmer suck it in and see if you find it in the pump basket. If you find it there is no clog but if it does not then you have a clog.

to remove clog you can use a air compressor with nosle that blows air. Go to pump remove lid & basket, then take nosle & rap t-shirt around it and shove it into pipe coming from skimmer making it as air tight as possible with t-shirt. blow air which will cause water to blow out of skimmer & remove anything caught up in pipe.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”