TA Problem

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
wvairnut

TA Problem

Postby wvairnut » Sun 31 May, 2009 10:12

Help,
I have a 13594 gallon above ground vinyl liner pool with clarity issues. I run a proline cartdridge system using a 2 hp pump the filter is a pleatco 817 150N .

I recently had my water tested and the results are listed below please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Free chlorine 0.0
total chlorine 0.2
combined chlorine 0.2
TA 140
pH 7.4
Calcium Hardness 237
Cyanuric Acid 7
Copper 0.0
Iron 0.0
total dissolved solids 0
saturation index 0.04

Please provide me with required products and procedure in detail to clear the TA issue

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

TA Problem

Postby Me... » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 08:23

Generally this is how I would proceed, Richard will probably give you exact numbers.

Pour a 1/2 gallon on clorine in the pool, around the edges I guess. Wait several hours and you will probably find the chlorine reading has fallen right off again and the pH will be a bit high. If the pH is only about 7.6 or so and the chlorine is back to a minute reading add another 1/2 gallon of chlorine. Several hours later you will need to test and add a cup of acid or so to get the pH back down, this will also start lowering the TA.

In short you need to get some chlorine in the pool now. TA is not so much the issue. You will also need to get some cyanuric acid in the pool to protect your chlorine and your pool store will help you with that in a day or two.

Do yourself a big favor and pick up a good test at the store, something that will do Free and Total chlorine, pH, TA, Calcium and Cyanuric Acid.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

TA Problem

Postby chem geek » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 09:48

As Me... said, don't worry about the TA right now. If your pH is fairly stable, then your TA is OK where it is. However, you need more chlorine in the pool and if the CYA reading is correct (at 7 ppm), then it's too low. Get yourself a good test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 kit from tftestkits.net here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is less expensive per test.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”