Had a green pool, and now I have staining

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mommytanyaof2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We are now owners of an inground pool which is 18X36 feet i believe...complete with a diving board and slide. It has a vinyl liner and a sand filtration system. This is our 1st real pool experience!

Postby mommytanyaof2 » Sun 31 May, 2009 19:52

I am a new pool owner. We bought our house last July so the pool was already up and running. This was our 1st Spring opening and starting it up. Anyways we had it looking clear and BAM it turned green. So I brought water to pool store and they told me to use aglacide and shock. I have a large inground pool about 30,000 gal with a vinyl liner. So I added about 21 lbs of shock in 2 days as the pool store told me. In between shocks, I brushed, backwashed, vacuumed and more backwashing. I also ran my filter for about 3 days straight. Thankfully now the pool is clear....just needs one more good vacuuming (I can see the bottom now) So here is a few ???? if anyone can help me out:

When they tested my water, ph was low as well as alkalinity,,,would it be ok to add chemicals to raise these now? My dad said I can add baking soda to raise the ph...is this ok?

When the pool was green, my white fiberglass stairs turned a dark yellowish brown...yuck! What might be causing this and what can I do to get them white again? It did it once and faded....but now it is back and does not seem to be fading at all.

Also when I was brushing pool tonight to get rid of any algae on bottom, I notice there are spots that look like dirt in various places...mostly in shallow end...that will not brush away.. What could this be and will they go away?

Thanks for any help and advice...I need it!!!!

RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby RMS1 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 23:24

mommytanyaof2 wrote:I am a new pool owner. We bought our house last July so the pool was already up and running. This was our 1st Spring opening and starting it up. Anyways we had it looking clear and BAM it turned green. So I brought water to pool store and they told me to use aglacide and shock. I have a large inground pool about 30,000 gal with a vinyl liner. So I added about 21 lbs of shock in 2 days as the pool store told me. In between shocks, I brushed, backwashed, vacuumed and more backwashing. I also ran my filter for about 3 days straight. Thankfully now the pool is clear....just needs one more good vacuuming (I can see the bottom now) So here is a few ???? if anyone can help me out:

When they tested my water, ph was low as well as alkalinity,,,would it be ok to add chemicals to raise these now? My dad said I can add baking soda to raise the ph...is this ok?

When the pool was green, my white fiberglass stairs turned a dark yellowish brown...yuck! What might be causing this and what can I do to get them white again? It did it once and faded....but now it is back and does not seem to be fading at all.

Also when I was brushing pool tonight to get rid of any algae on bottom, I notice there are spots that look like dirt in various places...mostly in shallow end...that will not brush away.. What could this be and will they go away?

Thanks for any help and advice...I need it!!!!

Chlorine 1.5-3.5
pH 7.6-7.8
Alkalinity 80-100
Hardness 150-250
Cyanuric acid 50-70

Sodium bicarb can raise both the alk. and pH, but there's a technique you need to raise one, then the other one.

The yellow part might be yellow or brown algae. Get a good algaecide as yellow is a bit resistant to chlorine shock.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com for more info on how to add shock, when where, etc...
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 00:21

You can raise the pH with no change in Total Alkalinity (TA) by aerating the water.

You can raise the pH with a small increase in TA by using 20 Mule Team Borax.

You can raise the pH with a larger increase in TA by using pH Up (sodium carbonate; Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda).

You can raise mostly the Total Alkalinity (TA) by using Alkalinity Up (sodium bicarbonate; Arm & Hammer Baking Soda). If you combine this with aeration, then you'll raise both the TA and the pH but generally you would just use pH Up if you want to raise both.

Use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosages.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”