Filtering question

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
streeter
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: little 18 ft above ground, 3/4 hp sand filter

Filtering question

Postby streeter » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 22:07

For along time I have run a sand filter(zeobright). Sometimes when I need parts, I plug in a cheap arse intex pump just to keep water turning over. This time, while waiting for parts I have noticed a big differance in the pool clearity.

Does this mean what we are taught wrong?? I have only a 18 ft above ground with a 3/4 hp pump going thru a sand filter with zeo.

I am thinking of piggbacking a cartridge in my system to see if it polishes it up like this little crappy intex does :wtf:

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filtering question

Postby mr_clean » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 09:13

just get rid of your sand filter there junk.

look into sta-rite system 3 modular media cartridge filter 300 sqft or 48sqft DE filter pentair or hayward that you only need to clean once a year and your problems will be gone.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filtering question

Postby Me... » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 10:38

Don't get rid of your sand filter unless you want more work to do. Your problem sounds like a normal one for abovegrounds, lousy circulation. What you are doing with the extra pump is moving the water around inside the pool better. Having a cartidge filter and a second pump standing by to improve things when needed is a good idea.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filtering question

Postby mr_clean » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 13:15

Sand filters have way to many problems for people & if removing cartridges once a year to clean is to much work or the same with a DE filter than a pool is probably to much work for a person.

a cartridge or DE filter properly sized is the easiest way to go.

why would someone want to vac to waste & waste water?

sand filters are junk and having to piggy back a small cartridge filter is just wrong.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filtering question

Postby Me... » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 08:58

Well 2 different opinions there I guess :)

DE and cartridge filters don't show up the issues on bonehead installations as easy is all. The "properly sized" comment is extremely relevant though.

As for wasted water, a "properly sized? sand filter will have extremely long runs. Believe it or not the extra water from backwashing is recycled by nature. It also can help the sewer systems by adding more liquid to the systems. Read about the issues in areas where the new "low flush" toilets and similar products are causing problems because there is not enough liquid in the systems. I know it's usually going to be drinking water but how much is lost to evaporation a month?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filtering question

Postby mr_clean » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 09:25

funny how people who sell sand filters remind me of car salesmen..............at a used car lot!

sand-filters help you go green.. :lol: .. :wtf:
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filtering question

Postby Me... » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 00:57

LOL. Well I sell everything, Equipment distributors do that. With only 30 years in the business I have had time to come up with some opinions on what I like. The "green" angle is not a sales pitch, just another way to look at things. Many people have open minds and like to hear different views. I could probably come up with some preferable angles on DE and cartridge too. I have seen a gazillion pools both residential and commercial and there isn't one you could tell what filter was on it from looking at the water. They are not bad equipment, I just happen to think sand is easier for the average user and does just as good a job. IF it is installed right.
streeter
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: little 18 ft above ground, 3/4 hp sand filter

Filtering question

Postby streeter » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:27

Me... wrote:LOL. Well I sell everything, Equipment distributors do that. With only 30 years in the business I have had time to come up with some opinions on what I like. The "green" angle is not a sales pitch, just another way to look at things. Many people have open minds and like to hear different views. I could probably come up with some preferable angles on DE and cartridge too. I have seen a gazillion pools both residential and commercial and there isn't one you could tell what filter was on it from looking at the water. They are not bad equipment, I just happen to think sand is easier for the average user and does just as good a job. IF it is installed right.

Thank you, nice post.

I have been thinking (scarey I know). I have been searching at all the pools and packages and keep coming up with the same conclusion. My fathers friend was right (on sand filters). On pools every filter system is over pumped and undersized on filter. You don't want to force the water thru the sand, you want it to flow that way you give it time to trap everything.

Next year the new pool will have a small.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filtering question

Postby Me... » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 13:25

Sounds pretty much right on the money. If you can find the surface area of your filter in square feet and multiply that by 10 or 12 you will come up with an awesome flowrate in USGPM for your filter. 20 is usually the maximum and we know how running things at maximum works. 15 is pretty close to a perfect backwash flowrate.

Filtering against a high system head at even 15 GPM per sq.ft. can allow the flowrate to climb to 20 or so on backwash. You would not believe how many filters I have seen with half or more of the sand gone. I see them maybe years later but that sand disappeared on the first backwash. That takes more than 20GPM but you get the idea of what happens when they are run at 20gpm per sq.ft.

Driving rather than flowing the water through a filter bed can also cause channeling. The water will actually drive one or more deep V's in the sand and pass through them which won't leave much depth of media to filter with.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”