Loads of DE in my pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 35000 gal

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 07:47

I noticed, a few weeks ago when I backflush and add DE the DE is forced out of the jets. I pulled the pump lid and it was really full of DE. I discovered I was adding more than twice what was required in DE each time I was backflushing. I have cleaned the filter and shocked the pool but I see a whole lot of DE on the surface of the pool. My Polaris just stirs it up and doesn't pick it up. I have heard of a Polaris bag that will filter the fine stuff but haven't seen one yet.

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 09:05

if you were able to see DE going into pool from return lines one or more of your DE filter grids have a hole/tear in them.

Pull them out rinse them off & inspect each one fully for this & replace as needed. You can also inspect manifold that grids plug into for any cracks etc. at the same time.
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 09:34

Thanks, I will do that. But still my problem is the DE in the bottom of the pool. Evedently the hole in the filter shot a ton of DE into the pool and my Polairs will pick it up but the bag won't hold it.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby Denali » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 21:04

jim wrote:Thanks, I will do that. But still my problem is the DE in the bottom of the pool. Evedently the hole in the filter shot a ton of DE into the pool and my Polairs will pick it up but the bag won't hold it.

Hi,

You can vacuum it out to waste if you have a multiport valve with that setting. Once you find the leak in the filter and fix it you can just vacuum it up.
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 08:19

What kind of equipment do I need to vacuum this out?
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 09:13

use the equipment that have been vacuuming with or if you have a auto cleaner it will pick it up.

you probably have a vac-hose, vac-head, pool pole, to vac pool.

if not go buy equipment, if you can fix filter you can vac...............
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 14:19

My auto cleaner (Polaris) will pick it up but blows it out of the bag. I suppose I could let the Polaris stir it up and then clean the filter a few times. When I opened the filter the elements were clogged with DE. There must have been 20 lbs packed in there.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 16:15

if you have a pressure side polaris that plugs into return line than you can not get DE powder cleaned up easy.

go to pool store buy vac-hose & vac-head setup & pool pole if you dont have one. Then attach pole to vac head and attach vac-hose to vac-head, put vac-head/hose into pool with pool pole extended so it does not go into pool having the other end of the vac-hose out of the water. Prime that other end of the vac-hose with your mouth or put it in front of return line so water primes the vac hose (real-good). Then attach it to skimmer hole so you can vac pool floor nice & slow so you do not make the DE powder rise. If you have a 2-hole skimmer put vac-hose into back hole with suction. If you have a 1-hole skimmer attach hose to diverter valve pipe that should stick out of hole.
If you do not see diverter valve which should turn left & right you will need to buy one. They turn so you can share suction between skimmer & main drain & if not turned to skimmer only you will have little suction to vacuum.

If you were putting to much DE make into filter after backwashing, this is what caused a grid/grids to tear or get crushed from to much pressure.
jim
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby jim » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 16:30

Thanks.
I have two skimmers with baskets and one place at the side of the pool that the Polaris hooks into. That has water pressure into the pool. I don't know where to hook up a vacuum.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Loads of DE in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 18:14

sense you have 2 skimmers you should have a valve that allows you to send all the suction to only one of the skimmers when you decide which one then after priming vac-hose put hose into skimmer hole like said before.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”