Cloudy water starting to clear,Why?

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
AE2000
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: For Now: 15' around by 4' deep Intex metal frame pool, it's vinyl and has that crappy pump it comes with.

Postby AE2000 » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 12:09

Hi all, I've been battling cloudy water for about a week now (thanks to mustard algae) and I'm finally getting results and I'm not sure which thing I did that started this progress, so if someone could help me figure it out so I can keep doing it I would appreciate it very much!
first off here are my stats (if it matters) : 15' X 4' intex metal frame pool
ph 7.6
fc 3
cya 60
ta 120
ch 215

so what I've been doing is shocking every evening ( for about 3 days) and adding liquid chlorine during the day ( b/c a week ago I had algae so trying to keep chlorine level up) , I've been leaving filter on 24/7 and brushing and vacuuming everyday, and about 1 1/2 days ago I put some clarifier in so my ultimate question is who is getting the clear water results is it over time doing it itself with my up keep, the chlorine or the clarifier and what should I cont. to do to get it completely clear? Thanks!

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 20:15

AE2000 wrote:Hi all, I've been battling cloudy water for about a week now (thanks to mustard algae) and I'm finally getting results and I'm not sure which thing I did that started this progress, so if someone could help me figure it out so I can keep doing it I would appreciate it very much!
first off here are my stats (if it matters) : 15' X 4' intex metal frame pool
ph 7.6
fc 3
cya 60
ta 120
ch 215

so what I've been doing is shocking every evening ( for about 3 days) and adding liquid chlorine during the day ( b/c a week ago I had algae so trying to keep chlorine level up) , I've been leaving filter on 24/7 and brushing and vacuuming everyday, and about 1 1/2 days ago I put some clarifier in so my ultimate question is who is getting the clear water results is it over time doing it itself with my up keep, the chlorine or the clarifier and what should I cont. to do to get it completely clear? Thanks!

Hi,

You're doing all the right things. The addition of the chlorine kills the algae and keeps it gone. Once the algae is dead it has to be filtered/vacuumed out of the pool. The clarifier helps to make it easier to vacuum it away. Shouldn't need the clarifer again. Keep up the rest of it until it's sparkling and then maintain a normal chlorine level and enjoy the pool.
AE2000
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: For Now: 15' around by 4' deep Intex metal frame pool, it's vinyl and has that crappy pump it comes with.

Postby AE2000 » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 07:43

Thanks so much Denali! but one more question about how long you think it will take for it to clear ( I'm already seeing a big difference) but this morning didn't seem to be much of a change. Thanks!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 10:55

It will clear faster if the chlorine is maintained at a shock level FC that is 40% of the CYA level, so 24 ppm FC in your case since you've got 60 ppm CYA. High chlorine plus having the pump on 24/7, regular cleaning/backwashing of the filter and brushing of the pool all helps. It sounds like you've been doing the right things except possibly maintaining a high enough chlorine level. You need a test kit that can measure such high levels which is why I recommend that you get either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 from tftestkits.net here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced per test.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:25

AE2000 wrote:Thanks so much Denali! but one more question about how long you think it will take for it to clear ( I'm already seeing a big difference) but this morning didn't seem to be much of a change. Thanks!

Listen to chemgeek's advice on keeping the chlorine level high until you are completely clear. As you know the intex filter is not the best so it won't clear as quickly as it would with a better filter, but it will clear. Make sure the filter is clean and keep it running.
AE2000
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Urgent!

Postby AE2000 » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 16:15

OK, my bottom is very visible now but I have noticed a light yellow stain around the edge of my pool I think the mustard algae is trying to coming back, now my pool store claimed I needed to buy stop yellow to kill it but can I kill it with lots of chlorine? any other tips I would be happy to here and also last time I had to buy the stop yellow and shock that's how my pool got so cloudy in the first place and now its coming back and I'm freaking. I want it gone but this time without leaving my pool cloudy for a week and a half. Thanks!
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Urgent!

Postby Denali » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 02:37

AE2000 wrote:OK, my bottom is very visible now but I have noticed a light yellow stain around the edge of my pool I think the mustard algae is trying to coming back, now my pool store claimed I needed to buy stop yellow to kill it but can I kill it with lots of chlorine? any other tips I would be happy to here and also last time I had to buy the stop yellow and shock that's how my pool got so cloudy in the first place and now its coming back and I'm freaking. I want it gone but this time without leaving my pool cloudy for a week and a half. Thanks!

Mustard algae can be tough to get rid of. You don't need the stop yellow and lots of chlorine will kill it if you stay on top of it. You need to know how many gallons your pool is and then use the http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to find out the level to raise your chlorine. You plug in your CYA level and starting chlorine level and push calculate. Look down to suggest FC levels for mustard algae shock level. It is going to be very high.

Brushing is important when going after mustard algae. Brush, brush and brush some more.

Good luck with it.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”