Purex Triton 2000 - filter cap doesn't fix

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Roland

Postby Roland » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 18:31

i have a Purex Triton 2000 filter system, and took the top off to clean the bladder on the filter screens.
Trouble is I can't seem the get the cap/top back on. The washer/o-ring is so fat that it doesn't slip on, doesn't wrap around (like a bicycle tire wraps on a rim)... nothing. Tried tools, hammers.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 20:32

Roland wrote:i have a Purex Triton 2000 filter system, and took the top off to clean the bladder on the filter screens.
Trouble is I can't seem the get the cap/top back on. The washer/o-ring is so fat that it doesn't slip on, doesn't wrap around (like a bicycle tire wraps on a rim)... nothing. Tried tools, hammers.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Hi,

Is this the big tank oring? They do have a tendency to swell up and sometimes easier to put a new one on.

You do want to lube it up to make the top easier to get back on. They can be very tough to get back on and I"ve heard of guys who sit on top of them trying to get it back on.

Let me know if we're even talking about the same oring. I'll check back and see.

Good luck with it.
hornet13

Postby hornet13 » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 17:33

I have owned a purex triton 2000 for over 10 years. Over the years the seal has elongated and is very difficult to refit the top lid. I put the large seal i a plastic bag and place it in the freezer for an hour. I then use pliers to pull the lid down evenly. It has worked for me for the past 2-3 years. I do need to get a new seal that fits correctly, but, as I said this work around has worked for me. Hope it helps.
Roland

Postby Roland » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 21:03

I finally got it back on - I used a set of 5 clamps to slowly fit the top around the bladder/o ring - after doing it 2 times in 2 months i've gotten it down to around 20 minutes, but it's still a chore.

Thanks for all the suggestions/help.
Storm019

Postby Storm019 » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 18:59

My pool builder showed me a trick coat the gasket with vasaline, have somone turn on the pump and fill the filter with water, when it gets to the top turn the pump off and place the lid on pushing down, the water draining away will suck the lid down and seal, sometimes it does seal off center. I use a rubber hammer so it won't damage the gasket and hit the rubber gasket several times lightly until it seals completely.
danny72950

Postby danny72950 » Mon 17 Aug, 2009 16:03

try this fill the tank 1st with pool water to the top put the lid on as secure as possible while holding lid on open drain valve this creates a vacuum and sucks the cover on it's works for me aren't i smart

Postby Guest » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:08

Lubricate the ring with vasoline or some other lubricant. I've even used baby oil in a crunch one year. Fill the tank with water and put the lid on and yes, it'll sit uneven . Make sure the ring is exposed towards you and first have back flow slightly open so it suck the lid on harder. Or you can leave back flow closed fill tank with water and let drain slowly and with a flat tip screw driver massage the ring along the underside of the lid between the lid and ring and below the ring and the lip where the ring sits without gouging the ring in with a flat tip screw driver sliding from the outside point to inside along the lip.
bobaloo

Postby bobaloo » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 14:27

Ok. I have a purex stainless steel sand filter with big o ring on top. After a few years the gasket got so big i really had a hard time getting it to seat, so i replaced it with a new one. Thinking this would solve the problem i threw the old one away. Well the new one leaks really bad. Sometimes squirting out the top. Went back to pool supply and he ordered an oversize one, not that i could even tell a difference. Same thing, leaks bad. Went back, pool guy,he says i need a new filter. Come on , is there not a way to fix this. Is there really a bigger gasket or was he BS me. This filter leaks no where else and the price of a new one is crazy. What i would give for that same big o ring for the top. Any suggestions?

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”