Using a DE filter - totally ignorant

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Howlleo

Postby Howlleo » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 20:15

I'm renting a room here during my summer job, so this isn't my pool and I don't know anything about it and I don't have a manual. I am a NYS certified pool operator, but that's another way of saying I'm slightly less ignorant than the other lifeguards.

The pool is full of algae. I've been reading the threads on algae fighting, and I'm ready to go out and buy a lot of bleach.

There is a vacuum, and I know how to use it.

The pump and filter is the problem. I've never had to deal with one of these things before aside from spinning a dial every now and then. It's a DE filter, and I know those are high-maintenance, but that's about it.

Is there an explanation of how to find your way around these filters? If I get a model number, can I find a diagram online?

And how often should I be changing cartridges (or whatever it has) while fighting algae?

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 21:52

Howlleo wrote:I'm renting a room here during my summer job, so this isn't my pool and I don't know anything about it and I don't have a manual. I am a NYS certified pool operator, but that's another way of saying I'm slightly less ignorant than the other lifeguards.

The pool is full of algae. I've been reading the threads on algae fighting, and I'm ready to go out and buy a lot of bleach.

There is a vacuum, and I know how to use it.

The pump and filter is the problem. I've never had to deal with one of these things before aside from spinning a dial every now and then. It's a DE filter, and I know those are high-maintenance, but that's about it.

Is there an explanation of how to find your way around these filters? If I get a model number, can I find a diagram online?

And how often should I be changing cartridges (or whatever it has) while fighting algae?

Hi,

If you get the make and model number there will likely be a diagram online.

Usually they don't have cartridges although some do. They have grids which are different than a cartridge.

Cleaning a DE filter is either through backwashing or taking apart and cleaning the grids. Once you get the make and model number it will be easier to advise.

You determine when cleaning is needed by watching the filter pressure gauge that is normally on top of the filter. As the pressure goes up, the filter is getting dirtier. It reaches a point when the suction in the skimmer slows down and the filter needs cleaning.

Also check and see if there is a valve that should be near the filter. This valve will control the water flow. It would say Filter, backwash, rinse and a few other things. If you have this type of valve it may be easier to clean up the pool as you can vacuum to waste without plugging the filter. Not all filters have this valve.

Good luck and let us know what make the filter is.
Howlleo

Postby Howlleo » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 16:58

It's a Nautilus NS36 made by Pac Fab.

It was on last night and not drawing well (alternating extreme turbulence and lack of motion in the skimmer) and this morning there was froth around the seams, so I shut it off.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 21:38

Howlleo wrote:It's a Nautilus NS36 made by Pac Fab.

It was on last night and not drawing well (alternating extreme turbulence and lack of motion in the skimmer) and this morning there was froth around the seams, so I shut it off.

Hi,

You will find a diagram online of that one.

Check the water level in the pool. Sounds like the water level in the pool might be a bit low and the pump starts and then draws in air through the skimmer and loses prime.

Froth around the seams? Is that a leak at the filter?

Postby Guest » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 21:17

Drawing air sounds right. The skimmers get sucked empty and then fill up. Can I solve that by lowering the pumping rate, or do I have to add more water? Since I'm about to start with shocking, adding water seems counterproductive.

The owner mentioned that "there might be a leak in the filter liner" (? liner ?). I don't suppose it's the sort of thing you could patch with duct tape. :?

This is starting to sound like a hopeless job. :eh:
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 01:12

Pool User wrote:Drawing air sounds right. The skimmers get sucked empty and then fill up. Can I solve that by lowering the pumping rate, or do I have to add more water? Since I'm about to start with shocking, adding water seems counterproductive.

The owner mentioned that "there might be a leak in the filter liner" (? liner ?). I don't suppose it's the sort of thing you could patch with duct tape. :?

This is starting to sound like a hopeless job. :eh:

You have to add water. The level has to be high enough so that it doesn't suck in air.

If you can find the leak (if there is one) you can often patch it (even underwater). Not duct tape but not much different.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”