Finding CYA?

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Howlleo

Finding CYA?

Postby Howlleo » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 20:21

Hi,

I'm taking on an algae infested pool that goes with the house I'm in this summer. I don't know anything about any of the equipment, but I do have nominal experience running summer camp pools.

I've been reading the threads and it seems like this CYA number is important, but I've never seen it before, and I'm pretty sure I haven't tested for it before. Is it part of a standard test kit? How do you find out your level? What's the good range? What range do I need while fighting algae?

thanks!

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Finding CYA?

Postby Denali » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 21:30

Howlleo wrote:Hi,

I'm taking on an algae infested pool that goes with the house I'm in this summer. I don't know anything about any of the equipment, but I do have nominal experience running summer camp pools.

I've been reading the threads and it seems like this CYA number is important, but I've never seen it before, and I'm pretty sure I haven't tested for it before. Is it part of a standard test kit? How do you find out your level? What's the good range? What range do I need while fighting algae?

thanks!

Hi,

Is isn't part of a normal test kit although it is part of the better test kits. If you have a pool store close by you can have them test your level. Somewhere around 30-60 ppm is normal. Basically what is does it prevent the sun from breaking down your chlorine too quickly. You don't change it when fighting algae.

It isn't a chemical that gets used up. The level only goes down when water is drained or splashed out of the pool.
Howlleo

Finding CYA?

Postby Howlleo » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 15:57

To get it tested I bring a sample to the store? Do I need to store the sample in a particular way or just put it in a bottle?
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Finding CYA?

Postby Denali » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 19:46

Howlleo wrote:To get it tested I bring a sample to the store? Do I need to store the sample in a particular way or just put it in a bottle?

Just in a clean bottle is fine. Normally they will test for everything and then try to sell you lots of stuff to fix the pool.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”