Leaking Tile band?

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
PYREX67
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4M X 7M INDOOR, INGROUND, HEATED POOL.
SALT CHLORINATOR, SAND FILTER, GAS BOILER.
DIAMOND BRITE RENDER + TILE BAND.

Leaking Tile band?

Postby PYREX67 » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 13:15

Before I lose what little hair I have left!...How do you test to see if your tileband is leaking? I seemed to have eliminated all other possible areas and the pool only loses water when topped up to middle of tile band (around a quarter inch a day), then stops just beneath bottom of tile band.
Have visually inspected tile band...no obvious cracks or holes. This is an inground, indoor 14 x 28 ft pool with Diamond Brite finish and 1inch square mosaic tile band. Any help greatly appreciated.

ChuckGeo
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Leaking Tile band?

Postby ChuckGeo » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 14:50

Assuming that you've carefully inspected your tile line for holes and are satisfied that all the grout is OK and there are no loose tile, the next place to look is in the skimmer throat, especially where the plastic skimmer meets the pool. If the floor of the throat is tiled, inspect the grout joint that butts up to the front of the skimmer opening, look for any cracks or gaps. If the throat is plastered inspect where the plaster meets the plastic. Keep in mind that 1/4" loss per day in a pool your size is a fairly small amount of water, approx. 62 gal., and the leak might not be easy to spot - it won't be a gaping hole, more like a pinhole!
Skimmer throat leaks are very common, usually it's the first place we look.
Good luck.
Chuck
Owner, Superior Pool Services
25 years leak detection experience
PYREX67
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4M X 7M INDOOR, INGROUND, HEATED POOL.
SALT CHLORINATOR, SAND FILTER, GAS BOILER.
DIAMOND BRITE RENDER + TILE BAND.

Leaking Tile band?

Postby PYREX67 » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 13:42

Thanx for the reply Chuck. Thoroughly inspected skimmer throat and resealed for good measure. Leak has slowed but is still present. Am now in process of regrouting entire tile band...will let you know how I get on.
Finally, it sounded daft when I heard it, but could the leak be through osmosis?
Limey with a Leak...George.
defmack

Leaking Tile band?

Postby defmack » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 15:56

I have never used this before but have a question. I have just had all my tiles removed due to flaking or breaking off during the winter. A company is preparing to install all new tiles and then stopped to advise me thy thought my pool was leaking from the outside in. First, is this possible? Second, if so, is it ground water coming through the gunite or what? and Third, does it need to be repaired/can it be repaired?
Crossan

leaking cursed pool !!!!!!

Postby Crossan » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 12:59

This is the mistery leak of this century. It seems according to an engineer that NO leaks comes either from Jets, drain, skimmer or suction broom, or filter or motor or pipes. Alors , where is the problem ????

We are loosing around 1 inch of water every 2 days , right down to level of jets. We regrouted first step and the walls around the pool 6x4 metres. We emptied the pool today as we left it on with no motor on the see level of water , so we could determined where the water stopped and the water was getting green . So yesterday we noticed in a empty pool that on the last step water was gushing out from a pinhole in the grouting and is still leaking today PM ??

NO piping around , so where could this water come from ??? Could it be water that we lost over the last few weeks " stored in the steps (made of bricks, rendered with cement then tiled)or a reservoir around the pool??

Please give your opinion of this mystery or even a solution before I Loose all my hair.

Thank you to all concerned

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”