Filter will not work...

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
what the heck is wrong

Filter will not work...

Postby what the heck is wrong » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 07:17

Ok, What is wrong with my filter? After filtering for 2 weeks I still could not see the bottom of the pool... Had my water tested at the local pool store and was told everything is good just keep filtering and backwashing.... Ok so afer having my chems dialed in 4 more days and still no change, bottom foot still cloudy and the whole pool looks generally like sea water.
Ok this wasn't working, so I drained the pool and 23000 gallonss of well water later starting from scatch. Now my pool looks like a sewer from all the iron. I expected that. Put in all my chemicals to remove the iron and get dialed in. Tada! NOTHING! This filter will not plug. In the past when I have done this in 3-4 hours the filter is plugged and barely returning any water to the pool! When I backwash nasty water comes out for around a minute. But now, maybe 5 seconds! And this is after running the filter all nite. Filter is not plugged, returning water like crazy to the pool. What is going on!
This isn't my first rodeo, or my first pool. This is the first time I could never plug a filter!
HELP HELP HELP ! I am not drowning the water is too nasty!

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filter will not work...

Postby Denali » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 04:48

what the heck is wrong wrote:Ok, What is wrong with my filter? After filtering for 2 weeks I still could not see the bottom of the pool... Had my water tested at the local pool store and was told everything is good just keep filtering and backwashing.... Ok so afer having my chems dialed in 4 more days and still no change, bottom foot still cloudy and the whole pool looks generally like sea water.
Ok this wasn't working, so I drained the pool and 23000 gallonss of well water later starting from scatch. Now my pool looks like a sewer from all the iron. I expected that. Put in all my chemicals to remove the iron and get dialed in. Tada! NOTHING! This filter will not plug. In the past when I have done this in 3-4 hours the filter is plugged and barely returning any water to the pool! When I backwash nasty water comes out for around a minute. But now, maybe 5 seconds! And this is after running the filter all nite. Filter is not plugged, returning water like crazy to the pool. What is going on!
This isn't my first rodeo, or my first pool. This is the first time I could never plug a filter!
HELP HELP HELP ! I am not drowning the water is too nasty!

Hi,

What type of filter do you have? Multiport valve? If you do, make sure the spider gasket is intact so that pool water isn't bypassing the filter. Check to make sure it's set to filter (not trying to insult you, but it happens) and not recirculate.

Is there debris on the pool floor? If so, vacuum it up and watch the return lines to make sure the debris isn't passing right back to the pool.
What the heck is going on?

Filter will not work...

Postby What the heck is going on? » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 17:57

I have a Hayward system. The pool was empty and clean. Filled with water and have been filtering for 2 days now after adding my chems to remove the rust. Pool still looks like a sewer. The sand will not plug? As in my return is blowing as hard into pool after pool as when I have back washed 8 hours earlier? Is this the seal issue? It is removing the iron but not nearly as fast as I think it should! After 2 days I should see a difference. I have been backwashing every 4 hours through the day. Tell me more about this seal please how do I check it? I only know about the seal on the top of the tank. Thanks for any help. My pool is a 30ft round above ground. with a half horse pump.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Filter will not work...

Postby Denali » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 22:22

What the heck is going on? wrote:I have a Hayward system. The pool was empty and clean. Filled with water and have been filtering for 2 days now after adding my chems to remove the rust. Pool still looks like a sewer. The sand will not plug? As in my return is blowing as hard into pool after pool as when I have back washed 8 hours earlier? Is this the seal issue? It is removing the iron but not nearly as fast as I think it should! After 2 days I should see a difference. I have been backwashing every 4 hours through the day. Tell me more about this seal please how do I check it? I only know about the seal on the top of the tank. Thanks for any help. My pool is a 30ft round above ground. with a half horse pump.

Hi,

This is what a multiport valve looks like http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_valves_pacfab_hiflow.htm. If this is what you have, look at #10 on the diagram. If that gets damaged or out of place it's possible a lot of the water will bypass the filter.

Another thought on this is that the sand in your filter has channeled allowing the water to pass through the filter with little filtering getting done. If you open the top of the filter you'd be able to see it and smooth out the sand.

Another possibility is the chemicals you added to help remove the iron didn't do their job.

Not sure any of this will help you but at least some things to check out.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”